How is it that christians can still believe in the creation story with so much evidence against it?

Those that say science has fabricated the fossil record to disprove christianity seem so immensely self-righteous. Do they think their viewpoint is so important to others that they would spend their lives creating evidence for evolution? I know that people are famously good at deluding themselves and we are all... show more Those that say science has fabricated the fossil record to disprove christianity seem so immensely self-righteous. Do they think their viewpoint is so important to others that they would spend their lives creating evidence for evolution? I know that people are famously good at deluding themselves and we are all guilty of this in some ways, but it seems that christian fundamentalists must really refuse to expose themselves in any depth at all to science. It is very hard for people to admit they are wrong, especially when it involves such personal and emotional issues as religion. I find it to be very true that people see the world the way they want to see it and are block out those things they don't wish to see.
Update: I should have been more specific in terms of creation being the idea that the world was created 5000 years ago and that man and woman were created directly by a god. I am not an atheist and I I do think that there is some ultimate source for things but it don't believe things got startedon earth for humans... show more I should have been more specific in terms of creation being the idea that the world was created 5000 years ago and that man and woman were created directly by a god. I am not an atheist and I I do think that there is some ultimate source for things but it don't believe things got startedon earth for humans 5000 years ago. Hell, humans had started writing in it's earliest stages in Sumeria 5000 years ago. Also, I do not put myself in a category above other people in terms of seeing what we want to see and blocking out what we don't wish to see.