safe to use power inverter on laptop?

i would like to run a laptop in the car. if i bought a 300watt power inverter would there be any danger of damaging the laptop?

Laptop = 15v at 5amps

Thanks

Update:

Answer YES if it is safe

Answer NO if it is not safe

10 Answers

Relevance
  • OZ
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

If you are talking about a 12vDC to 120vAC inverter? I did that and had no trouble. If you just change the dc current it may not work right coz some laps use 2 different voltages.

• Judith
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

It might hurt the inverter and blow a few of the fuses on the circuit. Wattage measures the maximum power a device may draw. It does not always need that power, but, when it does, and the circuit cannot deliver, fuses will be blown or, if incorrect fuses used, things will catch on fire. Now, many laptop adapters nowadays are rated for 110-240 Volts at 50-60-HZ. Check if yours is like that. If so, then the inverter is not necessary. EDIT: If your laptop's power brick says "100-240v 50-60Hz." then you may simply plug it into US circuits without worry. All you need is a plug adapter, but not an inverter. These plug adapters go for a few dollars at travel shops. EDIT 2: Do you intend to run this off of a car inverter for 13h? That is a whole new can of worms. Those "wattages" are generally meant as "peak" and not continuous.

• Bjorn
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

If it is a really cheap inverter, you could potentially damage it, but that is still rare.

You will not need a 300watt inverter, that adapter should pull no more than 60watts.

• BigRez
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

There is no problem with this. You should have your battery in though and make sure it's a good inverter, not a cheap one. The cheap ones don't produce stable voltages.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • D McC
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

to be safe also use a surge protector, that will stop any voltage spikes that may occur, also as said before get a better one,not the cheapest one you can find

• Pyria
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

If you use a surge protector that also conditions the power you should be ok

• 1 decade ago

go for it. I dont think there will be a problem

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Nope...You should be good to go.

• 1 decade ago

Not at all.

Source(s): IT Pro.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

no i dont think it would hurt a thing ....

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.