Aside from addition of roux / no roux, is there really any difference between gumbo and jambalaya?

Are they basically the same thing, aside from the roux?

Favorite Answer

Aside from that:

"Jambalaya is differentiated from other traditional ethnic Louisiana dishes such as gumbo, étouffée, and creoles by the way in which the rice is included. In the latter dishes, the rice is cooked separately and is served as a bed upon which the main dish is presented. In the usual method for preparing Jambalaya, a rich stock is created from vegetables, meat, and seafood. Raw rice is then added to the broth and the flavor is absorbed by the grains as the rice cooks."

Taken from Answers.com, I think that is all, but I could be wrong.

Source(s): www.answers.com

Basically a gumbo is made with a stock, jambalaya is made with a rice base. Being married to a Cajun, I must say I have grown to enjoy both of these dishes. I do prefer a file gumbo over a gumbo thickened with Okra. If you are not fortunate enough to visit the south, try going to the following website. You will be able to order Cajun starters on here. I would definitely recommend the gumbo and the jambalaya. Oh and don't use Boudain in your jambalaya use andouille. Boudain has a rice base and with the rice already in the Jambalaya I find Andouille works better. Anyway enjoy....