why is 4/20 on 4/20?

hey i never really thought about til now and wanted to know if anyone knew why 4/20 is on 4/20.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

It seems to me that might should be on another day besides Hitler's birthday.

Here's the reasoning.

420 (cannabis culture)

4:20 or 4/20 (pronounced four-twenty) is a term used in North America as a discreet way to refer to cannabis and, by extension, a way to identify oneself with cannabis culture. Phrases such as "420 friendly" sometimes appear in roommate advertisements, indicating that the current occupants are tolerant of cannabis users.[1]

Origins and Observances

It is widely accepted that in the early 1970s, a group of teenagers at San Rafael High School in San Rafael, California used to meet every day after school at 4:20 p.m. to smoke marijuana at the Louis Pasteur statue.[2] [3] Many cannabis users continue to observe 4:20 as a time to smoke communally. By extension April 20 ("4/20" in U.S. dating shorthand) has evolved into a counterculture holiday, where people gather to celebrate and consume cannabis. [4] [5]

420 Campaign

The widespread popularity of 4/20 celebrations in the U.S. has brought about calls advocating for the reform of American marijuana laws. The 420 Campaign urges individuals to become involved in the political process and the drug policy reform movement. Specifically, the Campaign calls for leveraging "April 20th as a focal point every year to concentrate pressure on Congress to legalize marijuana."[6] In addition to contacting state and national legislators, people can take action by supporting organizations—such as NORML and MPP—that represent the interests of marijuana users and other concerned citizens.

• 1 decade ago

When ever the police were out and they found some one smokin some they would use 4:20 as there code in other words if a police said "I got a 420, over" that means they just caught some one smoken. It was later discovered that it was hitlers bday but that is not the reasoning for it being on 420. But as for Jews it a not so good.

I think it should be a good day! They could get high and have no care for him!!!!!!!!!! Ha

• 1 decade ago

It's both more and less than people make it out to be. '420' began its sub-rosa linguistic career in 1971 as a bit of slang casually used by a group of high school kids at San Rafael High School in California. '420' (always pronounced "four-twenty," never "four hundred and twenty") came to be an accepted part of the argot within that group of about a dozen pot smokers, beginning as a reminder of the time they planned to meet to light up, 4:20 p.m. Keep in mind this wasn't a general call to all dope smokers everywhere to toke up at twenty past four every day; it was twelve kids who'd made a date to meet near a certain statue. It's thus incorrect to deem that '420' originated as a national or international dope-smoking time, even though the term began as a reference to a particular time of day.

Source(s): research
  • bobbee
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

the fee of four^20 + 4^20 is two*4^20. i've got faith your question is what's the fee of x that makes the equation authentic. 2*4^20 = 2^x ln2 + 20ln4 = xln2 ln2 + 40ln2 = xln2 41ln2 = xln2 x = 40-one

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

4-20 is the 8th or 9th anniversary of the Columbine school shooting. it`s also hitler`s birthday ? i believe ? and 4-20 is also believed to be the law enforcement code for marijuana. i see people in my school would get high on this day, at 4:20pm. weird. but the truth.

• 1 decade ago

some ppl n da 1970s used to get blazed everyday at 4:20.... da custom became the day 4/20

its also supposed to show da ppl dat want mj legalized

• 1 decade ago

hmmm idk i guess they just picked a random day 4 it, i dont know bout u but i aint doin nothin 4 4-20 i'm a good girl OMG just found out that they make that potday cuz its hitlers b-day- have fun on POTDAY

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

'cause it's friggin awesome lawl

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.