? asked in Home & GardenCleaning & Laundry · 1 decade ago

can you wash bed pillows in the washing machine?

Favorite Answer

yes, but it is difficult to keep them balanced. So you must remain close to the machine during the spin cycles....even if you put some heavy towels in as well to keep them apart. Towels help, but not a cure all.

You can also hand wash them...good arm work out.

Drying them is tough. I roll them between heavy towels first then hang them outside to dry. Before they are completely dry I put them in the dryer to fluff them back up.

I always have, but there are a few ideas to keep your pillows from loosing shape or getting lumpy... ideally the best method I think is in a front loaders that has a delicate or even hand wash cycle as they are much more gentle than the top loaders. But don't be dismayed, if you have a top loader there is a really great way to wash pillows: fill the machine and soak the pillows stop the machine from agitating unless you have an extremely gentle cycle. Soak for at least 15 minutes at a lukewarm temperature unless cold water wash is mentioned on the pillow tag. After soaking skip the agitation cycle and set it to spin on low speed for a brief time, then repeat with clean, cold rinse water( again skipping the agitation and using the spin of low for only as long as needed to remove excess water. If you can lay the pillow to air dry on a mesh netting in the heat of the sunshine, you'll find it helps to not only freshen and purify your pillow but it'll cut down on drying time, expect it to be damp for a day or two. This can also be done without using the washer by soaking in a bathtub or laundry basin too... but then you'd need to squeeze the pillow with a large absorbent towel. Just remember to avoid the friction, that's what turns a comfy pillow into a clumps of lumps. If your pillow concern is just the outer surface and not the fibre inside then simply wipe the outer fabric with a wet soapy cloth, rinse quickly and hang it on the line.

I have and infact many say that you can wash them in the washing machine on their "care tags" The only thing I had a problem with yrs ago when I had purchsed cheap pillows was the cotton filling all seemed to bunch up or seperate making the pillows a pain in the butt to sleep on

I've put mine in the machine before. You'll just have to fluff them up once they come out of the machine. Mine always came out kind of flat, but it could be because they were cheaper pillows, too.

Yes,

I do 2 at a time, seems to do alright. If they are feather no.

You will have a problem if they are cheap, they seem to bunch up, and you can never get them right. I have some moderately priced pillows and they do fine. I do dry them slowly and on delicate, this seemed to help me.

Hope this helps...

• bbq

i do. two at time to balance themselves out in the wash. no problems !

as long as they are not of the feathered kind then yes

sur can:)