Any Ideas for a man's Shakespeare monologue that hasnt been done over and over, preferably evil.?

Favorite Answer

the quote from Macbeth is pretty good, but I don't know as I'd call it evil exactly. More like fearful and loaded with guilt and dread.

Dude, it has ALL been done over and over.

I'll tell you what you probably already know. The best two evil soloquies or monologues are those of Richard the Third and Iago from Othello. Personally, of the two, I think that Iago is far more evil than Richard. Richard, one can understand even if one is compelled to despise him. Iago, never really tells the audience why he's trying to destroy Othello, and one gets the impression that his only reason is pure malice. Shylock has a pretty good speech in the Merchant of Venice in which he attempts to justify himself. But Shylock is too easy to sympathize with to be regarded as truly evil. No, I think your stuck with either Richard or Iago. If you are gonna do one, you might as well use the best material.

Now, if you are not married to the idea of an evil piece, then Henry V has tons of good material apart from the overused St Crispin's day speech. There is a fabulous speech in Act II, scene ii, delivered to Cambridge, Scrope, and Grey, who have betrayed the king in which he implies a comparason between their treachery and the original sin in Genesis.

• shkspr

Look at Mark Antony's soliloquy over the corpse of Caesar ("O, pardon me, thou bleeding piece of earth...") It's VERY strong stuff.

And, by the way, don't get too hung up on this idea of speeches that are "overdone." As a director who has auditioned thousands of actors, I think the list of such speeches is much, MUCH shorter than you imagine. Believe me, if an actor comes in with a clearly spoken, well thought-out rendition of "To be or not to be," he's not getting any points deducted by ME.

look at the play Cymbeline. Cloten is the evil character in this play or look at Titus Andronicus. Both are never performed often, so it would be easier for you to make the character & the monologue your own.

This speech from Macbeth Act III, sc.i, where Mac gives voice to his fear and jealousy of his erstwhile closest ally Banquo, has always been one of my favorites that usually goes under the radar as an audition piece:

To be thus is nothing;

But to be safely thus.--Our fears in Banquo

Stick deep; and in his royalty of nature

Reigns that which would be fear'd: 'tis much he dares;

And, to that dauntless temper of his mind,

He hath a wisdom that doth guide his valour

To act in safety. There is none but he

Whose being I do fear: and, under him,

My Genius is rebuked; as, it is said,

Mark Antony's was by Caesar. He chid the sisters

When first they put the name of king upon me,

And bade them speak to him: then prophet-like

They hail'd him father to a line of kings:

Upon my head they placed a fruitless crown,

And put a barren sceptre in my gripe,

Thence to be wrench'd with an unlineal hand,

No son of mine succeeding. If 't be so,

For Banquo's issue have I filed my mind;

For them the gracious Duncan have I murder'd;

Put rancours in the vessel of my peace

Only for them; and mine eternal jewel

Given to the common enemy of man,

To make them kings, the seed of Banquo kings!

Rather than so, come fate into the list.

And champion me to the utterance!

Also, check out the character Aaron from WS's Titus Andronicus. He's a great lesser known Shakespearean villain.

Here's a website for the complete works:

http://shakespeare.mit.edu/

Break a leg!