can white wine be frozen?

i use it in cooking, but don't really enjoy drinking it that much... i was thinking maybe if i could freeze it in ice cube trays i could defrost some whenever i need to? that way i wouldn't have to buy a bottle every time and waste it.

Best Answer

If it's for cooking YES you can. I freeze white wine cubes and use as emergency for 'chilling' down a glass of room temperature wine.

Couple of frozen Rose wine cubes adds a 'pick' up to a bowl fresh fruit salad on a warm summers day.

Cheers

• GrnApl

Although the wine's color showed somewhat dull, its flavor was superb! Better even than when the wine was first tasted. Sandy tartrates at the bottom of the bottle indicated the freezing.

Since then, I have frozen dozens of wines when I knew I would be unable to drink them until after four days had passed. White or red, it made no difference.

Wines should be frozen while fresh—shortly after the bottle has been opened. After having been frozen, the wine tasted immeasurably better. Warning: Once having been frozen, do not re-freeze the wine. The refrigerator is OK for white wine; keep the red at room or cellar temperature until consumed.

Source(s): After Freezing Left Over Wines, They Taste Better by Julian Schultz http://www.oxfordwineroom.com/freezingwine.asp

Never tried it, usually to busy drinking it, but if it works let me know. Wine ice cubes sound good, perhaps wine ice-lollies!

Would think that it would take a while at a very low temp because of the alcohol it it but hey why not

Wine keeps well enough if you replace the cap or cork. The alcohol may evaporate over a week or two when the bottle is opened but the flavour should still be there and perfectly alright for cooking. I use a bottle a month, most of it used in cooking, and still drinkable to the last drop. Never had a spoilt bottle yet.

I use it in cooking to and end up throughing half a bottle down the sink, what a fab idea to freeze it in ice cubes trays, thank you xxx.

Yes you can, you can put it in freezer bags eg. one glass of wine per bag and then you can use it in cooking etc instead of having to open a bottle each time :)

Source(s): Nigella bites (heard it on the tv)

Especially with the less dry whites, they make great ice cubes for Sangria.

Yes you can freeze wine, but it is not enjoyable drink afterwards, but for cooking yes!!

Source(s): Myself

yeah.. of course you can...

add that white wine ice cubes in any fruit juice to spice it up =)

Yes, you can! I saw Nigella do it on her show a few weeks ago, very good way to save whats not used up :O)

Source(s): Nigella Lawson!