Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

Where should I go to law school: University of Michigan or New York University?

I go back and forth daily as to which law school I should attend. I'm not debating over their academic standings - they're both amazing law schools. I need help deciding what's best for me. Here's my list of pros for each school to help you help me decide:

Pros for UofM:

-Dad went there (as an undergrad)

-sister went there (as an undergrad)

-I was born in Michigan (lived there till I was 5)

-sister lives in Ann Arbor (near campus)

-I was brought up a Wolverine and always will be one (but I didn't attend UofM as an undergrad)

Pros for NYU:

-NY feels like my home (even though I don't live there)

-I will live in NY after law school (no matter where I study)

-we've had an apartment in NY since I was 6, and I love the city life (my stepfather's a broadway actor, so we go up there often, but I've never lived there full time)

-if I go to school where I plan to work, I may be able to network with people in the city or intern with a local firm where I could work

Please help!

PS to all you lawyer haters, I'm going to be a sports agent. And go away, no one likes people who degrade others!!!

Favorite Answer

Hi Ashley,

If I were you, I would go to NYU, by listening to your answer, I think you feel like NY is your home. When I went to college, I got very homesick which is weird becuase I couldn't wait to get out of the house, the same thing happened to all of my friends. If you feel like NYU is where you heart is, I would go there. I also went to NYU and now I am a very successful lawyer.

Hope everything works out for you!

Good Luck!!!! :o)

First of all, congrats on getting in to both of those schools. That certainly isn't easy. As for where you should go, I'd say go to NYU from what you've said. I just went through a similar deliberation, and I realized that its very important to go to a school where you plan to work, unless you go to say Harvard or Yale. You will make connections in the area and will be taught the rules and regulations of the state in which you study. Although, if you want to be a sports agent, you could always go to UM and meet the freshman football players before they become stars.

Have you met with anyone at either school? That’s what I’d do. And the networking factor is an excellent 'pro' to consider! It could make quite a difference after you graduate.

I'd set up an appointment and meet with some staff, recent grads in your field, and some advisors/counselors, etc. at each school to make a more informed decision on which will feel more comfortable to YOU. Anyone can tell you how much THEY love a school, sometimes, you just need to FEEL one out for yourself...Go visit both Law schools :)

Good Luck :)

• ?

i might say seem up good universities for tribal regulation. be constructive to touch the college to make constructive they have what you're searching for. Ask with regard to the standards and the curriculum, if it feels like some thing you have an pastime in then setup an appointment to pass to the campus and meet with the consultant. continually keep you strategies open. i'm in college for anthropology, and that i continually seem for interesting social or psychological components i will upload to my degree. additionally, preserving matters contained in the area of you degree enables plenty, too. desire this enables.

well ur reasoning for NYU is better because making the right connections from now will help you later, so i say NYU.

as a fellow Michigander i think you should stick with tradition. just please your father and sister. Michigan is ranked 8th overall in the country. the average UM law grad makes a medium of 125,000 starting out. hail to the victors let's go blue

NYU, if you plan to live in New York.

~If you have to turn to YahooAnswers to make a decision as important as this one, don't bother going to either school. Your potential clients deserve an attorney who can solve a problem logically and rationally. Save the seat for someone who deserves it.

Think about going into the financial world. The world can never have too many stockbrokers and your pros and cons fit the bill perfectly.

P.S. Don't include me with the "lawyer haters" because I work for a top defense attorney who is more concerned with justice than with "networking" with inane wannabees but can't bees.

NYU

We don't need more lawyers. We need more doctors & nurses. Besides most lawyers are scumbags.