Does reading the Bible brainwash people?

In 1980 the United States Supreme Court ruled 5-4 in Stone v. Graham that the school children of Kentucky have the constitutional right not to be assaulted by the presence of the Ten Commandments on their classroom walls. The Court's majority revealed its rationale, in part, with remarkable frankness:

"If the posted copies of the Ten Commandments are to have any effect at all it will be to induce the school children to read, meditate upon, perhaps to venerate and obey, the Commandments. However desirable this might be as a matter of private devotion, it is not a permissible state objective under the Establishment Clause."

In short, the passive display of the Ten Commandments was not permitted because some students might obey them.

Romans 12:1 says, "And be not conformed to this world but be ye transformed by the renewing of your mind..."

So, does the Bible actually wash a brain?

I think Father G needs to get a new line...I have seen this same "move to the desert" line over and over.

For those who would want to post "Satan" or "Islamic" signs next to the 10 Commandments...you need to realize what country you live in. This country was FOUNDED on the Bible...52 of the 55 men who signed the Declaration of Independence were active members of their church's. This nation was founded on Christian principles...so be thankful you live in a country that God blessed because we chose to follow His Son, Jesus Christ.

And why would anyone not want their children to follow the 10 commandments...it only allows their lives to be pure.

The Word of God is alive and powerful...Hebrews 4:12

• ?
    Favorite Answer

No, it doesn't wash the brain, it washes the heart and mind. Mind and brain aren't the same thing, are they?

Here's the thing for me. Before I was born again, reading the bible was hard to read, boring and dry as bones. I remember so clearly coming home after being water baptized, sitting on my bed and reading the bible. It was nothing short of miraculous that what I was reading took on depth and meaning that I hadn't experienced before. That, to me, was proof that I'd received the indwelling of the Holy Spirit.

Now it has been 11 years since I was saved. I am not the person I was, that's for sure. My mind is clearer now about how God wants us to be, to live. Not that it is easy, no.

Yes, I'd say that verse is right.

One more thing...there is no separation of church and state in the Constitution. The *idea* came from a letter that Thomas Jefferson wrote to a Baptist minister. He was worried about another Church of England gaining a foothold in the new country. There is no separation of church and state in the Constitution.

No people brainwash people. The Bible is Truth. Romans 12:1 means that you will no longer try to act or think like the world but you will learn to think and act more like Jesus and what he wants you to be. If someone feels they are being "brainwashed" by the word of God its because they are scared of the truth and they will do anything they can to make the Bible sound bad so they don't have to follow whats right. The United States is getting pretty retarded when it comes to the Bible. Even though the men who founded this country and wrote the constitution, based it off of the commandments of God. Anyone who doesn't permit the ten commandments is brainwashing the world to do what it wants us to do, not what God wants us to do. Which is ridiculous because everyone wonders why God would permit a school shooting to happen killing innocent children. Well yeah if you wont permit the 10 commandments to be taught and if you kick God out of schools, then when exactly would you like him to step in?

Source(s): I could keep going

I actually recommend reading the Bible because I think it is the best argument against Christianity out there. But that is a far cry from putting it in your face all day.

What you need to ask yourself is would you have a problem with posting the Nine Principles of Satanism or Five Pillars of Islam right beside your Ten Commandments. If you say yes, then it is wrong to post them.

The Bible is the Word of God. The moral law is written in each of our hearts by God so we know what is right and wrong within our hearts. Reading the Bible teaches us about God but does not brain wash anyone.

I don't this the Bible brainwashes anyone. I do think there are people who do not fully comprehend what they are reading and the history and times in which it was written.

However, I cannot see how the Ten Commandments could be offensive to anyone regardless of their belief.

If faith never existed, how might the bible exist to be study? you will possibly seem to have slipped right into a "Spiders hear with their legs" fallacy. yet, as with a superb type of others, I even have study the bible thoroughly, and that became right into a good portion of what made me an atheist.

No, but the Blood of Jesus Christ, God's Son cleanses us from all sin.

Im not brain washed

Im not white washed.

Im blood washed - by the Blood of the Lamb.

Halelujah

A textbook on evolution would be based on sound scientific evidence, where the bible isn't any better than a children's bed time story. It's historical value is virtually 0, it's been translated and edited by countless people with their own agendas it can't be taken as fact. The problem is people actually do take it as fact. Does it brainwash you by reading it, not exactly. But being told it's the "one truth" and having it shoved down your throat from the time you can understand speech is brainwashing.

I should hope so.

If you read the Bible it will (if you obey) wash you clean and remove all you past sins.

Acts 22:16

And now why tarriest thou? arise, and be baptized, and WASH away thy sins, calling on the name of the Lord.

Have you ever considered that they should be learning the laws of the United States instead of the tribal laws of Hebrew goat herders?

If you don't like our laws, have you ever considered moving to the desert?

I hear it's lovely in Palestine this time of year.