Why compare TPS's with FPS's (Gears of War vs Any FPS)??

As far as I was concerned comparing Gears of War respectively with any FPS is inaccurate. You cannot compare components of games that are of different genres and effectively draw conclusions about them effectively.

Personally I would compare Gears of War with Lost Planet or games of the like, namely other Third Person Shooters. I do not find it useful to compare Gears of War with games such as F.E.A.R. as they were not designed to play the same or even similar, they have very different components.

Can someone explain this concept of comparing very DIFFERENT genre games with each other and the benefits of these comparisons as I don't get it. I actually own both of these games. I play many FPS's and have played a significant amount of both of these games. I can confirm that F.E.A.R. is a great game and so is Gears of War but in their own right. I find it more beneficial to compare games like Resistance (PS3) and F.E.A.R. as you can compare each of the components effectively as FPS's.

Favorite Answer

Your logic is very well thought out and reasonable. However, I think when most people compare TPS's to FPS's they are simply comparing shooters vs shooters. Ideally, you should only compare games on the basis you identified (TPS v. TPS & FPS v. FPS). I just think most people compare games based on the sweeping category it falls into. For example, the broad category of shooters, which is all shooting dominated games including first and third person view points. Even though TPS's and FPS's are different versions of a shooting game, they are sub-categories of a broader game category, that game category is shooters.

You can apply this logic to music. There are many different types of lets say rock music: hard-core, alternative, southern, heavy metal and so on, but they all fall into the broad category of rock. Thats my opinion and the best I can do at trying to justify it.