Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureOther - Society & Culture · 1 decade ago

Virginia Tech school shooting?

It totally shocked me and I'm completely torn up inside about it. Why would someone do anything like that. Some people think it's mainly the school fault because they didn't personally warn the students, they just sent an email. What do you guys think about th shootings, and do you think the school should have done something more?

• Favorite Answer

The shootings were very tragic. I cried when I heard the news. To think of dozens of young people dead or hurt, when they are attempting to better themselves, is traumatic.

What could the school have done? The first shooting went down as domestic violence. What should a school or business do when the is a double homicide? At this point, no one new who the murderer was. If you evacuate the buildings, would this have created more and easier targets? If everyone is locked in their classroom, would this really stop a determined gunman?

We need more training to resist these assults. We do tornado and fire drills. First graders are taught to stop, drop, and roll, if they are on fire. What are people taught if they hear gunfire?

^^ See the sentence before the question mark? That's generally what most people consider "the question".

Anyways yes it's all very tragic... I don't think the school should be completely blamed for how they handled it, obviously they had no idea what was going to happen and I'm sure they made the best decision they could at the time with the information on hand. It's not like someone over there said "man it'd be funny to only send an email and then see how many other people get killed." I do think the e-mail was lame though, as a student I can say I rarely check my mail (maybe once a week unless I'm expecting something) so if a shooter was on my campus I'd definitely hope they'd use some other more intelligent way to notify the students.

Yes I think the school could have done more, it's hard to believe this ordeal went on for several hours... someone should have gotten a gun and shot the mother f**ker.

I agree wholeheartedly that the VT could have done much, much more. They should have canceled classes and mandated a lockdown. It's hard to say how much this would have helped, though- a guy with a gun wouldn't be stopped by locked doors, methinks. You've gotta keep perspective, and remember that every one of those deaths was the shooter's fault, not VTs. I'm not defending them, I'm just wary of anything that resembles blaming the victim.

Honestly, I'm surprised this doesn't happen more frequently. Given the sheer number of people in the United States alone, and the number of people with depression* or other more dangerous disorders, I am honestly surprised that this is the first mass school-shooting since Columbine. Guns aren't hard to find, and schools don't seem to be too well protected.

*I know that depression doesn't make people violent, and I know that almost all victims of depression are no threat at all to the greater society. However, I find it baffling that more people kill themselves yearly than they kill other people. It just seems anti-Darwinian.

I think it was a tragedy first and foremost and my thoughts and prayers go out to the victims and their families.

The killer alone caused the crime, but the high number of victims is directly caused by gun control.

They were just sitting ducks with no way to defend themselves much like the victims of Colin Ferguson. Concealed-carry advocates warned us all long ago to expect tragedies like this as long as we have gun control.

When only criminals have guns the rest of us can only ponder tactics like "notifications."

In a state where concealed-carry is allowed or promoted, the loss of life could have been much less. He may have shot one or two, but a concealed-carrier would have dispatched him right quick.

Sadly there is no way to prevent a killer with a gun. In tribal Africa where there are no manufactured guns, tribesman make them from pipes and rubber-bands so clearly gun control is not the answer. You can make a gun out of wood in an hour! He could have stabbed just as many with a knife.

Since you will never stop the OFFENSE, we must allow ourselves a DEFENSE. We are not all of one culture anymore, so violence will only increase.

The only way to prevent these killing rampages is concealed-carry. Would you rather protect yourself or wait for the folly of police or school "notification?”

and your question is....?