Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsCancer · 1 decade ago

What is the survival rate if I deny Chemo Therapy?

I was diagnosed with cancer when I was ten. I was supposed to pay attention to lumps and crap in my Lymph Nodes. I just found a lump under the Lymph Node on the left side of my neck. I had the one on my right side removed years ago because of leukemia.

Is anyone else living with this disease? I am trying to ignore it but everything seems to be happening so quickly. My knees are going out and my spine is probably effected too.

I know it is too late to have it removed, but I don't want to live with treatment because it seems as if it'll take too much energy and time for something that is not curable. I want to live, and not be forced to live.

I just simply want to know what amount of time I may have if I go untreated...

• Panda
    Favorite Answer

The survival rate for leukemia has increased significantly and so has available treatment. Things have changed dramatically in as little as a few years. So your chances of surviving may be much better than they were when you were ten. As for treatment, it can be difficult but if you are young enough and fairly healthy than there are medications to help you get through this.

You need to do as much research as you possibly can before making this type of tough decision. Doing nothing may not be the answer to the 'quality of life' that you seek. You may end up just as miserable with no chance at survival.

Do the research and than talk to your doctors.

Good luck.

Source(s): Experience. Our son chose to fight his stage IV disease. And after two years has excellent quality of life.

Maybe try this - Try Vitamin C therapy. A few years ago a cancer specialist came out with a paper that said the best cancer/infection fighter found to date was Interferon. At the time it was $15,000 a gram. The paper also said that Interferon was a by-product of the natural breakdown of Vitamin C in your body. Shortly after that the FDA tried to make Vitamin C by prescription only. Guess why? The FDA has the RDA for Vitamin C set at 64 mg a day, just enough to ward off scurvy. Linus Pauling, who got a Nobel Prize for his work with Vitamin C and a second Nobel Prize for Organic Chemistry, said that 1000 mg a day should be the minimum and 2000 mg a day if you are sick or smoke. He played tennis almost daily until the day he died at 96. Personally, I got sick twice a year for 2 weeks at a time, for more than 20 years, with something to this day the doctors have no idea what it was, but for a week in the middle of those 2 weeks I was flat on my back. I started Vitamin C therapy once I gave up on the doctors. I took enough to be asymptomatic for those 2 weeks. Too much and I got diarrhea and too little and I got sick. Within a narrow range, and it followed a bell curve over those 2 weeks, I was not sick. At the height I was taking 40,000 mg a day and 300,000 over the 2 weeks. After 2 years of that I have not been sick since – more than 15 years. Vitamin C acts as a natural diuretic so you need to drink a lot of water and watch your body in total, but my kidneys did not dissolve as the doctors predicted, or get massive kidney stones as other predicted. I did not dissolve my bones as some predicted or completely calcify my joints as others predicted. I had no side effects at all. It might be something to consider

Many of the liquid tumors (leukemias, lymphomas) are curable even at advanced and recurrent stages. You are asking a valuable question: Is the treatment worse than the disease. The truth is you can't tell. You need to talk about the situation with your doctor, get a complete evaluation, and have them offer you some treatment options. Remember that you are the boss. If they give you a very small percentage of survival and horrific side effects from the treatment you may decide to let nature take it's course. However, if they tell you that you have a decent chance with reasonable and treatable toxicity then you should go for it.

The essence of the issue is that knowledge is power. You are worrying about something in the absence of knowledge. Get all the facts about your situation, get some treatment recommendations, and remember that you are the boss.

I recently watched my Grandfather go through chemo for liver cancer and pass away. The whole process lasted 2 and he suffered greatly. I look after people with disabilities and one of my clients also passed away recently with liver cancer. He was diagnosed with cancer in January 06 and passed away on the 24th of March 06. He did not go through Chemo. His suffering was minimal and his quality of life greatly surpassed my grandfathers in his last days. I think this is what really matters, but if you want to know, the doctors gave my client 8 weeks to live at one point and he went after 3. Between diagnosis and death was 3 months. I hope this helps

Your present age and the specific type of leukaemia were not stated cos survival rate following leukaemia depends on type, age and available treatment modalities.

Why don't you ask your doctor directly.

Think you have the right to know.