Does anyone have a favorite suburb of Detroit?

Does anyone have a favorite suburb of Detroit? Which suburb of Detroit is safer to live in and which is not safe to live in? You can tell me any suburb in Detroit. Can you tell about every suburb of Detroit it's pros and cons? Please let me know.

You are more than welcome to tell me more of every suburb of Detroit.

Favorite Answer

detroit is so obviously like a giant wooly mammoth that has been speared through the heart and is slowly dying. i never realized it fully until i moved away. it's tough to even point to what's great and what's not -- the whole city seems to be in some twilight phase of a slow bleeding death. i hope it recovers someday, somehow. but until it becomes a conservative, pro-business, right-to-work state that will not happen. so it may be a while.

anyway here goes:

best suburb for young people - royal oak

best suburb for families and older couples - northville, novi

best community near but outside of detroit - ann arbor

best suburb for those with lots of disposable income - birmingham

best blue collar region - macomb county (warren, sterling heights, mt. clemens)

best redneck region - downriver

best rednecks with money region - brighton, howell

best jewish region - west bloomfield

best arabic region - dearborn, dearborn heights

FOLLOW UP NOTE: thanks for plagiarizing my answers, numbers guy. also, I did not intend to offend by characterizing downriver as redneck. Redneck is not bad, it's just redneck - ultra-conservative, white, truck driving, beer loving, simple values, working class neighborhoods.

Source(s): grew up in the detroit burbs

I grew up in Waterford, Pontiac and Bloomfield Hills -- which definitely covers the spectrum of Detroit suburbs. Bloomfield Hills SUCKS so much! Don't believe the hype. There's nothing to do there. Waterford and Pontiac are okay but both have "rougher" areas and seem to have an issue with blight.

My dad and stepmom live in Royal Oak, which seems to be the new hot spot. The downtown is sweet. If you're looking for a good restaurant in Royal Oak, go to Memphis Smoke. It's great! They just moved from the Clarkston area, which is another nice area just north of Waterford.

A national survey just released the safest cities in the United States and the Detroit suburb of Troy MI. came in as the fifth (5th) safest city to live in. My favorite area is downriver. Some of your answers were plagiarized and falsely identified downriver as a redneck suburb. This could not be further from the truth. There are some areas just west of Detroit and downriver that could be considered as redneck but I don't want to offend anyone here. Wyandotte is exceptionally special calling itself the city of festivals and is by many considered the "downtown" of downriver. I hope this enlightens you.

I like Grosse Pointe Woods, its one of the prettiest suburbs of Detroit, I live there.

i grew up in Wyandotte which is about 25 minutes south max - great small town style area.

st clair shores - just outside the "grosse points" was a little more in my price range but those areas are also wonderful.

if you are going to be working in detroit i recommend having a minimum of 3 different ways to travel into the city. between snow, construction and traffic jams..... when i sold my condo in st clair shores it went in less then 2 weeks -- i had 6 ways into detroit :)

you may also want to look at area by your ethnic origin. detroit and it's suburbs are quite the melting pot. in dearborn and those areas there are a number of middle easterners, in the downriver area 9wyandotte, trenton, grosse ile, riverview) there are may eastern european immigrants who settled there. growning up was wonderful becuase the talents and culinary treasures of pretty much every culture under the sun was right at your fingertips!

Maybe I'm naive, perhaps, but I don't anticipate it is much different in Novi from the areas I have lived downriver. My wife and I spent ten years in Allen Park. All in all, there is a strong sense of community and pride. It seems to me primarily blue collar, with respectful children and good neighbors. We were fortunate enough to be able to move up anywhere we wanted and chose to stay downriver. We moved to Riverview, (small city by Wyandotte). We are happy here. Riverview consistently scores high in MEAP scores, as does Allen Park and most other downriver schools. What you probably won't find down here is anyone who is pretentious. Maybe some people constitute that as a redneck...weird.

Hell yeah, I'm a Detroiter. Actually, I've partied in the MC5 house in Ypsi and John Sinclair and I hung out a lot last year before my building burned down (his favorite coffeeshop was in my building). Anyway, they're great all in all. And I agree, proto-punk is amazing. The entire Kick Out the Jams album is awesome.

My favorite suburb is Mt. Clemens MI. so much to do in the downtown area. Concerts in the park ect. I would rather live in the Shelby Twp. area, very clean and safe.

I like Birmingham, Bloomfield Hills, Novi, Northvillr,Ann Arbor, and all of the Grosse pointes. Although I would not live in an yof the grosse pointes because of their close proximity to bad areas. Novi is a really beautiful town, as long as you live south of i-96. Northville, further south is more of a small town than Novi. They are both Upper Middle Cass, with northville being wealthier. Birmingham is older than Bloomfield Hills, and not as much soace. I f you have ebough money i would move to Bloomfield Hills, otherwise Novi/Northville, or Birmingham is a good second choice.

Detroit is my favorite suburb. All the other "locations" are considered sprawl. However, my favorites are Morningside, EEV, Boston-Edison, IV, and PP, oh and the University District.