juvenile detention center...?

if a juvenile was sentenced to a detention center by a judge, do the parents have to pay money daily? and what if the family had low income and the juvenile was sentenced for several years?

Thanks

how about new jersey?

Favorite Answer

Depends on the State, basically no parent pays the whole amount though. Both parents may pay the same amount as they would pay for child support. But the actual cost is in the $100 to $200 per day range. Any parent that could pay the actual cost, paid a lawyer, and the child did not go to a detention center. The worst case scenario would be that the parents send their child to a state approved facility that you and I would not consider a punishment of any sort. More like a vacation with all the trimmings.

• vdpphd

I am not aware of any State in which parents are liable for the cost of incarceration of a juvenile placed in detention by a juvenile court. When the State takes over in place of a parent for a "juvenile delinquent", it also takes over the obligation to feed, clothe, house and educate that juvenile.

Certainly, in the case of an impoverished family, the State is already paying various kinds of support. In none of the six States in which I have lived and paid taxes has a poor family been billed for the cost of court ordered juvenile detention.

• I don't know what state your in but here In ILL last year my son was sent to a detention home and I didn't pay a dime. It was court ordered so it was basically out of my hands.. I did however have to pay his fines and lawyer fees and so on. Hope that helps.

Source(s): Last year experiance
  • shorty

It depends on the state

Juveniles should be tried as adults.

If they are old enough to know its wrong, they should be punished properly.

Detention centres are a creation of the PC "nanny state" and do diddly squat to preventing them from re-offending in later life.

No prison is free. Parents pay with heartbreak.

• ceprn

It would depend on the law and the judgement.

• pay money? not unless it is something mandated by the courts...