HELP! Speeding ticket/ window tinting ticket - CA?

I got ticketed 2 weeks ago for window tinting and speeding. I was going 88 in a 70 mph area (Interstate 10 on my way to AZ) and my windows (all except dash) are the limo black tint.

This is the first time EVER that I have gotten any sort of traffic ticket. I have a few questions. Anyone have any idea how much this ticket might cost? How long does it take to get the paper/fine information in the mail? He said the tinting is "correctible" and if I get it stripped, show it to a cop, and have him sign off on it they will dismiss that part of it. Well, I don't really want to do that...I'm ok with paying the fine and risking getting another ticket. I've had the window tinting for 6 years and this is the first time I got ticketed. So anyhow, for anyone who has been ticketed for tinting....can I just pay the fine and be done with it, or am REQUIRED to get it stripped? If I pay the fine, is that the end of it? Or will they keep bothering me until I get the tinting taken off? Thanks!

Yes of course I will pay, duh! And I understand why I got ticketed, I'm not trying to "skirt" the law. Sheesh..some of ya'll are harsh! I'm moving out of CA in less than and just do not have time to get it stripped right now. I'm wondering if I can just pay for it now and deal with removing the tint at a later time. Anyway, I drive w/my windows down, so its never an issue....well, except this once when I was a lazy *** and not have them down. lol I'm not trying to get around this, I'm just trying to get specifics on how this works. I called the court this is in relation to and they were SO unhelpful, thats why I asked on here!

• Mike F
    Favorite Answer

Obviously you will really want to do a strip and re-do in legal tint simply to stop worrying every time you get behind the wheel or whenever a polic car passes you on the roads. It's simply not worth the aggravation. .but you already know that by now.

If you know the car tint shop that did the installation (likely with full knowledge that the film he installed was illegal) you might just be able to get them to tear it off an do it over at a low price. It can't hurt to share your pain with this tinter.

In the meantime keep that ticket handy and if you are stopped make sure you roll down the window when the police officer starts walking to your car. This tends to take away that fear factor one of the previous answerers mentioned.

Don't feel badly. .getting dark tint is a very big problem in the entire country. That's why the IWFA http://www.iwfa.com has issued very strong guidelines for window film installers like my company at http://www.advancedfilmfl.com

Source(s): 33 years in the window film business and currently a FormuaOne Dealer and VISTA Window Films in Tampa Bay

In California, your car can be impounded if you fail to unstrip your windows. Window stripping is very dangerous to both passengers and drivers on the road, and ESPECIALLY for cops. Cops cannot see into the vehicle -- They have absolutely no idea what's going on inside the car, if there is somebody trapped inside, if there is a weapon, you get the idea.

Just because you've had it for six years and no one has ticketed you doesn't make it right. You got caught. You need to deal with the consequences and unstrip your windows. You need to obey the law, not find ways around it just by shelling out more money each time you do get caught.

Depending if this is your first offense, it probably won't be too bad in comparison. Probably a few hundred, plus the cost of unstripping your windows.

However, as long as I've lived in California, tickets for the same offense get gradually more and more expensive each time you're caught. It's best to deal with the problem now, that way you won't have to worry about this ever again.

Be responsible for the sake of other drivers.

I am not sure about the exact law in CA, but it is possible that you can pay the fine, bit risk being ticketed over and over again.

In some jurisdictions, the second or third ticket on window tinting can have the car impounded on the spot.

Have the tinting removed. Pay the speeding ticket. Try to obey the law, not look for ways to skirt it.

Have a professional tint your windows so that they comply with the law.

i live in Kentucky ,i was ticketed for excessive window tint , i had to pay the fine and the cop told me to remove the tint because if i didn't i would probably get another ticket from different cop and have to pay the same fine again over and over until i get the tint removed so i removed my tint.the fine for the tint and court cost was about $150.00.

Ya better strip that tint. You dont want to get a ticket for the same thing twice. You'll pay a hefty fine for disobeying the law.

I got that same ticket like ten years ago and i had the tint removed, got my ticket signed off then I went back to the window tinting place and had them put the tint back on. It cost $30 to have it removed and $80 to have it put back on. There is really no other way, good luck!