higher risk of miscarriage with hashimoto-thyroiditis (autoimmune disease of the thyroid)?

i just had a miscarriage this week, i was 5-6 weeks along. i have hashimoto-thyroiditis, and i read that women with this autoimmune disease suffer from a higher risk of having a miscarriage than women without it. can anybody tell me more about this, maybe someone who has that illness too? it was my first pregnancy, i am 21 years old. i will be thankful for any kind of help or information.

6 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

I looked into some articles for you and most are saying that the miscarriages are more common in 2nd trimester. 5 weeks is very early on.

There is some things you can do if you plan on getting pregnant again and one articles states this:

I think it is wise to see the endocrinologist and wait the recommended time before attempting pregnancy again. You need time to build up energy, as well as nutrient, iron and calcium stores again

Rates of recurrent miscarriage are reported to be higher in hypothyroid women than in those with normal thyroid studies.

Early replacement with thyroxine improves fetal outcome.

Because of the association between autoimmune thyroid disease and recurrent miscarriage, thryoid antibodies should be obtained in women with recurrent miscarriages.

There is no documented benefit from treating low-thyroid women with recurrent miscarriage with L-thyroxine.

• 3 years ago

Source(s): Cure Hypothyroids http://sparkindl.info/HypothyroidismRelief
  • 4 years ago

You Asked, Hashimoto's thyroiditis is a condition caused by inflammation of the thyroid gland. It is, as you premised, an autoimmune disease. ALL ANSWERS SHOULD BE THOROUGHLY RESEARCHED, IN ANY FORUM AND ESPECIALLY IN THIS ONE. - MANY ANSWERS ARE FLAWED. It is extremely important to obtain an accurate diagnosis before trying to find a cure. Many diseases and conditions share common symptoms. The information provided here should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition. A licensed physician should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions. Hope this helps matador 89

• Anonymous
    5 years ago

The thyroid is a butterfly-shaped gland that sits low on the front of the neck. Your thyroid lies below your Adam’s apple, along the front of the windpipe. The thyroid has two side lobes, connected by a bridge (isthmus) in the middle. When the thyroid is its normal size, you’re unlikely to be able to feel it.

All types of hyperthyroidism are due to overproduction of thyroid hormones, but the condition can develop in several ways.

Thyroid hormone production can be suppressed or halted completely in these ways: https://tr.im/hRqmV

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Hello,

I read an interesting guide about how to stop hypothyroidism at the source. it's called hypothyroidismrevolution. Check it out here http://www.goobypls.com/r/rd.asp?gid=290

Have a nice day

• What
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

no hosimotos is pretty common i know a few people with that and all of them were just fine

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.