Should an African American Adopting Indian Children?

I am an african american femal considering adoption and I am really interested in Adopting a child from indian. I have been told by friends that Adoption agencies will not allow a African American female interacially adopt. I have been incensed by this is this true? So if I wanted to adopt a white or indian child I could not? Why?

Update:

FYI, I am just beginning reseraching this process. I am currently in Law school and intend to adopt after completion. I was asking this question because I have been hearing a lot of discouraging words and I am beginning research. I currently hold 2 BA degrees, a Masters and workign on the JD. I am a homeowner and my salary is better than most two parent households, I have a lot of love to give and intend to pursue adoption as soon as i complete school.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Vicky
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

They would prefer to let the children be with people who are just like them. Then again if you have alot of money you might be able to do it. Angelina Jolie is adopting all types of children.

I think that white people have more of an option to adopt whoever they want not a black people but I could be wrong. What you should do is research it and find out how it works..Good Luck to you!!!

• Login to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I've heard this, too. It has something to do with "preserving cultural integrity", whatever that means. Somehow, being a black woman gives your adopted child a disadvantage that a white woman doesn't. Since you, being a minority, are already at a disadvantage, they assume that you adopting a child outside your race gives the child even more of a disadvantage. It is racial profiling at it's worst.

However, there is no law prohibiting you from adopting a child privately. Just stay away from the agencies.

• slinda
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

No this is not true. If you are as serious about raising the child as researching the process maybe you should reconsider. Children are a huge responsibility and raising one whose race is different from your own is an even greater task. Give it a lot of thought and make sure you are responsible enough to handle it, for the child's sake. my husband and I adopted two children from his native country Nigeria but they were relatives of his and he is capable of teaching them their own culture. Still at times they feel very out of place.

• 1 decade ago

That's not true, someone I know who is black recently adopted an Asian baby. It's always possible that there might be some trouble, but don't give up! Always check with the agency. If it turns out to be true, that's HORRIBLE!

Good luck!

Source(s): BRING DOWN RACISM PEOPLE!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

It's almost like the celebs would rather adopt a black child than a white child.

• 1 decade ago

thats really racist, and if u can, u cshould be able to press a charge. why can white people abopt jkids from anywherE and the blac lady can't? I'd SUE!

• 1 decade ago

Because of you are not Madonna or Angelina Jolie! thats why

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.