Is it rude to hold someone's personal check for 3 weeks before cashing/depositing it?

I accepted a personal check from a renter and then I held it for three weeks before depositing it. The check bounced and the person emailed me to notify me of alternate payment (which was good) saying it wouldn't have bounced if I had been more prompt in depositing it. That made me angry. I wouldn't... show more I accepted a personal check from a renter and then I held it for three weeks before depositing it. The check bounced and the person emailed me to notify me of alternate payment (which was good) saying it wouldn't have bounced if I had been more prompt in depositing it. That made me angry. I wouldn't normally hold a check that long, but I did and I don't consider it my fault that they didn't keep funds available for three weeks. I know I am right from a legal standpoint- but ethically- is 3 weeks too long? Was that rude?