Concerning the Jewish Holocaust?

I was listening to a radio program last night, about midnight if not past it. One of the things that was brought up was the atrocity of the Jewish Holocaust (how that had to do with defending Don Imus, I have no idea). However, and correct me if I'm wrong, but that was not a Jewish Holocaust, it was a Nazi Holocaust.

6 million Jews killed, 6 million. That's a lot, don't get me wrong, but that leaves 5 million unaccounted for. And I'm assuming that because the amount of people discovered to have died during the holocaust isn't exactly known. Including several Jews that were killed, there were Gypsies, homosexuals, blacks, socialists, Allied POW's, Poles; several people were casualties of the Holocaust. Yet when people mention the holocaust, the scope of the atrocities barely span out beyond the Jews killed. Isn't there a problem with that?

And how does that defend what Imus said? Imus had no business insulting those women the way he did. What he said was inexcusable, sexist, and

racist. He killed his career, I don't give a damn if he never gets hired again. He has money to fall back on, those basketball players, black and white, were hurt, possibly scarred for life. Who in the hell could, let alone would defend Don Imus?

• ...
    Favorite Answer

The Holocaust was a nightmare we cannot and must not ever forget. And we must remember ALL of its victims. It was atrocity that we still grapple with digesting even today ... maybe always.

Some call it sensationalism to compare the two (Holocaust and Imus), but I believe this unhealed wound called the Holocaust resounds at many levels and using its name should always spark to remind.

And as for the name of Imus? Just because Imus is an idiot doesn't mean he doesn't have to apologize and take responsibility for what he said, does it?

Because Freedom does bring Responsibility whether we like it or not.

• j

I have answered more Holocaust questions than I know what to do with recently. I shall provide links:

Gypsies in the Holocaust:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index;_ylt=Aqb2k...

A general, all-around good Holocaust question, my answer in great detail:

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=200704...

Well, the rest of my Holocaust answers have vanished into my answer list and I am too grumpy to find them. :P

The 6 million were only the JEWS killed. They were not the only Holocaust victims. I, being Romani (Gypsy), have a vested interest in learning about Gypsies in the Holocaust, hence, my in-depth answer that I provided. In that one I answer many of your questions... it was a research paper for this fellow. I included a pretty good list of the peoples targetted by the Nazi regime.

I can tell you of a problem with Holocaust historians and MY people. We are not mentioned or are but a footnote. We are shunted under the carpet and ignored by many Holocaust historians.

The very conservative estimate is 200,000 to 500,000 Gypsies killed but the reality is well over a million, possibly millions... unrecorded. Most Gypsies could not write and were recorded with a checkmark in the "books" at the Camps and, thus, forgotten. I hear that the difference between the Jews and the Gyspies is that Hitler planned to exterminate the Jews. Guess what. He planned total genocide on TWO peoples: Jews and Gypsies. Both groups were deemed inferior and were to be the victims of complete genocide.

I could call it the "Gyspy Holocaust" as much as I could call it the "Jewish Holocaust". Instead, I call it "The Holocaust" because nodoby was exempt. The Nazis were able to put anyone they wanted into the categories they created. Again, go take a look at that answer.

Somewhere I have a site with the total numbers of the peoples killed. This is not correct. As I described above, the Gyspies were grossly underexaggerated. I believe that if the numbers WERE correct, you could add another easy million to the total.

I do not know what Don Imus said. The only way I know anything about Don Imus is by seeing his name, ad infinitum, on this forum.

From what I gather, Imus is a shock-jock, nothing more. He uses his racist remarks to get a reaction. I do not even care enough to look him up on google. I would, based on what I have heard, take whatever he said with, not only a grain of salt, but the whole damned saltlick.

Whenever people question the Holocaust, they typically question whether or not the whole thing occurred, when it very obviously did. It's really kind of hard to explain upwards of 8 million dead people when you say that the Holocaust didn't happen. There were survivors and there were people who saw the camps--the Holocaust happened, and there's no doubt about it. People make mistakes, and that was a really big one. Even if people just question the circumstances surrounding it, it's a touchy subject. People don't like to talk about mass genocide and don't want to rehash old wounds, so many would rather not talk about it. Perhaps if the question was a good one and was asked respectfully, there wouldn't be a problem.

It was a Jewish Holocaust. The "Final Solution" ordained by Hitler was to eradicate all Jews in Europe.

The objective of all "Racist Ideologies" is based upon the dominance and superiority of the oppressor. While acts of villainy and violence are perpetrated in the name of "supremacy."

I've visited a former Concentration Camp in Germany and believe me the dehumanization perpetrated primarily against Jewish people was an atrocity of epic proportions.

Personally, I believe that, Don Imus has been punished severely and the Nation need not crucify him for its cultural inhumanity.

Farbeit from me to defend the likes of Imus, however, it's the comparative response and hypocritical indignation that tweaks me. Al "white interlopers", "Tawana" Sharpton is leading the charge against someone uttering ethnically insensitive remarks?

Gimme a break.

• Johnny

I don't see the Jewish connection between Don Imus and the holocaust, whether called Jewish or Nazi.

Neverthesless, there are others who speak vulgarly that are not punished. Ann Coulter is one. Frequently she speaks ill of others and down right lies.

Such language is stupid and unacceptable.

Yes the Holocaust included many people. But the intent was to kill off all the Jews. Where the other groups were more of a bonus for the Nazis. Therefor people bring it up with an emphasis on the Jews. So from a murder standpoint, they were all tragic, from a genocide standpoint, the Jews feel especially tragic.

who ever is killed in a genocide gets the act named after them- jews were killed so its the jewish holocaust.

I think people bring up his heritage to show that he knows what it is to be discrimniated against so there is a good chance that if he said he was kidding-its not a lie.

although many others were killed the primary focus was the jewish people and they had the worse after math since they were nearly taken off the face of the earth

• Suze

Keep criticizing Imus. Keep making similarities. That's the most productive way to never heal what's wrong with this country.

Is keeping the hate alive better?

What was exactly he said that offended a lot of people? I'm not from the US that's why I don't know the details of the story but I've heard about one radio host in the US that got sacked?