Under law people cannot smoke in any public building in the state of Arkansas?

A law has been past in the state of Arkansas you can't smoke inside bussinesses. for example (waffle house,The shoe store, bars, even the cigarette store and so on). This also includes private bussiness. I wonder if this is fair or legal

Favorite Answer

There is legal precedent so it will probably hold water legally.

As for the fair aspect, I find it abominable that any government is arrogant enough to dictate to a business owner how he or she should conduct that business. Capitalism is based on providing customers with what they want. Those who do so flourish those who don't parish. A sign on the door clearly stating that people are allowed to smoke in MY bar should be as far as it goes. Unfortunately the liberal mindset is, you are too stupid to care for yourself, so the policy of politicians is to nibble at an issue until they have devoured the whole thing. It is the frog syndrome. Throw a frog in boiling water and he will jump out. But, put him in cold water and raise it to a boil and he will stay and be cooked. The American people are about "medium well done" at this point.

A case in point is gun control. When the Gun Control Act of 68 was passed it essentially outlawed the catalog sale of firearms. Now there are literally hundreds of thousands of laws about gun ownership and possession including the complete outlawing of certain classes of firearms (assault? weapons what ever they are) and total bans on possession of firearms (Washington D.C.).

Look for the smoking issue to take the same track. Then when they realize they have killed the goose that laid golden eggs (cigarette taxes are well over half the cost to the consumer) you can watch your taxes double.

Some people can't see beyond the end of their nose and politicians fit firmly into that category.

• yetti

I will almost bet that is someone wanted for fight hard...they could get the law repelled.....I think that public owned buildings should have the ban, but private party buisness should be able to make that choice for themselves....and people say to smokers, if you want to smoke go somewhere else...well it works the same the other way...if you don't like the smoke, go somewhere where they do not allow smoking...that is a choice of the buisness owner and noone else.....

this is true. and it's really a good idea. (I'm a smoker)

BUT, there is at least 2 places in Arkansas that you CAN smoke in, one is the Smokers Cafe on Gee street in Jonesboro. No one under 21 allowed. so far, the owners claim business is good. and the food is good.

• Maudie

At the very least it is not fair to private business owners. They should have the right to decide whether to allow smoking in their establishments, period.

• camel

a lot for separation of church and state. even notwithstanding South Carolina is being problematical using the time period excellent Being, it really is nevertheless a decrease of civil liberties. does no longer it make extra experience to have it contained in the structure that any one which holds workplace, at the same time as making judgements, shall no longer be swayed by technique of their personal beliefs, yet extremely what serves their elements perfect?...perhaps it really is in basic terms me.

Smokin' should not be allowed in churches, theaters, and paper factories. Every thing else should be up to the owner of the establishment. No smokin' in bars and restaurants is pathetic.

It sounds like a good idea to me. I hate walking into a restaurant or a building and being plagued by cigarette smoke. If you want to have a smoke, do it somewhere where I don't have to smell it.

• Billy

I think it's a great idea.