murat u asked in SportsSwimming & Diving · 1 decade ago

What's a good diet for swimming? Before and after the pool?

Favorite Answer

Ok, well I understand that everyone is trying to give you good advice, but here's the deal. I've been a swimmer for 20 years. Just finished my collegiate career and am now swimming Masters. More importantly, my major is dietetics (food and nutrition) and I am going into Sports Nutrition next year for graduate school. I have researched a lot about what should be eaten when. Most importantly, eat what your stomach can handle. Even if eating dog poop would make you swim extremely fast, would you? I think not. Also you don't want to eat something your stomach isn't used to that will make it upset. (not fun to try to swim when every 10 minutes you run to the bathroom) Secondly, hydration is extremely important. You should be taking sips of water every 15 minutes at least. Depending on how competitive you are drinking Gatorade or another "sports drink" can be helpful during practice. Realize that it might take your body a week or two to get used to having the easily digested sugars in your stomach. Before practice, eat what you like. A carbohydrate is best because during the majority of your practice your body will be using carbs for fuel. I like to eat two pieces of whole wheat toast before morning practice. (as for how long before you swim, it depends again on what your body can handle. I knew many swimmers that would eat a burger 10 minutes before they swam-yuck! But they were fine) After practice-the first 30 minutes are the most important to refuel your body. I have found it very difficult to get dressed and get home within 30 minutes to eat something, so either pack food with you to eat in the locker room, or drink a carbohydrate replacement drink such as Endurox. (the orange flavor is very tasty) I would be more than happy to help you with any other questions you have about nutrition. Otherwise I could go on forever! E-mail me at krazykels@yahoo.com Hope this helps some!

Source(s): senior dietetic student, former national swimmer, former collegiate swimmer

A Rule of Thumb for Life Assurance is Male aged 21 = 110 Lbs., plus half a pond for each year over 21. Then plus or minus 10% providing you are fit and healthy. You look already in the 'healthy' area. Long periods in the water doing physical exercise makes you sweat, but the skin pores are closed due to the lower temperature of the water, so this builds up to a layer of subcutaneous fat which makes the body 'rounder' i.e. smoother, so its passage through the water is more streamlined so less effort is required. Special diet? Carbohydrates. Energy food. If competing don't train the day before racing. Let the blood sugars build up, for explosive release to the now relaxed muscles,during the race.. This was my training regime and I was a junior triple champion.

For the best answers, search on this site https://smarturl.im/aDBiF

If you want to eat truly healthy, lose body fat consistently, normalize your blood pressure, cholesterol levels, prevent cancer, and even boost your brain health and energy levels, you may have heard all over the news that the Paleo Diet has been found to be one of the best methods of achieving all of these benefits compared to any other popular "fad" diets out there. Go here https://tinyurl.im/aHLvS

The truth is that the Paleo Diet will never be considered a fad because it's just simply the way that humans evolved to eat over approximately 2 million years. And eating in a similar fashion to our ancestors has been proven time and time again to offer amazing health benefits, including prevention of most diseases of civilization such as cancer, heart disease, alzheimers, and other chronic conditions that are mostly caused by poor diet and lifestyle. One of the biggest misunderstandings about the Paleo Diet is that it's a meat-eating diet, or a super low-carb diet. This is not true

Before you swim I'd say you have to eat cabs. Pasta should primarily be eaten either for dinner or as a final before-bed snack for optimal results. Also eat some meat (ex. meatballs with the pasta) to get some protein in you as well. Eat some bread-based food for breakfast and eat a light lunch covering all of the basic food groups.

As for other things you can drink you can drink an energy drink (ex. Monster) about an hour or 2 before you swim but it really doesn't do much for you (they're more of like a long car ride stress reliever to me personally). You should drink a sports drink during the swim/meet and afterwards eat/drink whatever you want to. First of all, you've just spent a lot of energy and your body needs to regain that energy. Second of all, you should be as stress-free as possible at all times so especially after a meet don't stress yourself out with some strict diet that you have to follow (unless you have allergies or moral/religious beliefs prohibiting certain foods and/or drinks).

There are lots of no no's on swimming diets. For a day I suggest no diary such as cheese, milk, yougurt, things like that! You can eat pasta, that's really good for you! Also drink things that are under 22 grams of sugar or less. Gatorade is good, but propel is the best you can drink. No sweets either, you can cramp up, and loose speed. Make sure you have plenty to drink to keep your deherated. Here is what I eat for my swimming days

Breakfast~ Plain bagel, with NO cream cheese, or butter, and an apple

Lunch~ Pasta with a piece of bread, and turkey, no mayo, and lettuce, and No cheese

Dinner~ Usually we go out after a swim meet whenever you want.

But if your going to like practice, eat a good meal before you go, and not to eat alot, but I hope this helps, and Good luck!

Before you get in and swim hard, you want to eat something kind of light so you don't throw up all over the place when you're in the water.

Afterwards, you will have burned a ton of calories, so you're gonna wanna pig out. Eat whatever, but stay away from excessive junk food and NO SODA. It dehydrates you, and interferes with your muscles ability to recover.

Best Diet For Swimmers

I've heard of swimmers eating pasta the night before a meet because the complex carbs will help later on.

Discover The 30 Day Guide to the Paleo Diet Meal Plan - http://primalpalate.info/the-paleo-diet-95.html

+) Two different 30-day meal plans (that’s 60 days of meals planned out for you!)

+) Over 180 recipes that are amazingly delicious, and easy to make

+) All the information you need to start Paleo today

+) 30 Paleo Tips and Tricks Guide

Get Started Today! - http://primalpalate.info/the-paleo-diet-95.html

Take the first step to rid your life (and cupboards) of toxic, harmful foods and begin your journey to wholesome, healthy living.

Source(s): Enjoy instant access to over 180 delicious, exclusive Paleo recipes! - http://primalpalate.info/the-paleo-diet-95.html

ANY but..

Good Eating for Swimmers

Avoid fat; fat is ok, eat it up. Avoid carbohydrates; carbohydrates should be the major portion of your diet. Consume a high amount protein; eat balanced portions of proteins, fats, and carbohydrates. There is a lot of conflicting advice out there. What to do, what to do....

That depends on who you believe and what you are trying to achieve with your food intake. The word diet, in this case, means "what you eat"; everyone is always on a diet. Many people go on special diets from time to time to lose weight or body fat, gain weight or lean (muscle) weight, or maintain weight (among other reasons).

What is the best diet for you - how much fat, protein, and carbohydrate - and how to decide what will work for you? The answer is up to you, your physician, and your personal needs.

This article will touch on some of the current ideas in nutrition, and some of the ways those apply to swimmers.

You should consult your physician before beginning any type of specific diet to avoid or reduce the chance of medical complications