Anonymous
Anonymous asked in PetsCats · 1 decade ago

My cat has VERY weak hind legs, but is otherwise normal. 2 dif. vets could not tell me what is wrong.?

I have been to 2 different vets, the only options are a CT scan & spinal tap. She is playful(well, as much as she can be w/o the use of her back legs), eats, drinks, & purrs. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Update:

I have been to 2 different vets, the only options are a CT scan & spinal tap. She is playful(well, as much as she can be w/o the use of her back legs), eats, drinks, & purrs. Does anyone have any idea what this could be?

Okay, I forgot to mention that she is a 7 mo. old persian that is indoors. The vets know she has arthritis in the knees, but do not think that is the reason for the weak hind legs. I don't mind the CT scan, but the spinal tap sounds rather painful, even if she is drugged.

Update 2:

Let's see....my cat weighs 6 pounds. She has a luxating patella(floating knee cap) in both hind legs, but the vet does not think this is the problem. I have had knee problems in the past and I know it is extremely painful. I was using Meow Mix for a while, but have changed to Nutro Natural Choice. I really appreciate everyone's answer!

5 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If your cat has always had this problem, she probably had a problem during the birthing process. If this happened after you adopted her, she may have fallen off of something and landed wrong causing pinched nerves in her back. You need to try to remember when you first noticed this symptom and what she might have been doing at that time - how active, etc.

If your cat is overweight, this will definitely add to her discomfort. Did either vet take x-rays to see if her spine is out of alignment?

It might also be a deficiency in her diet that's leading to her becoming weak. I would suggest that you try a holistic vet since the traditional vets haven't helped you.

In the meantime, run your fingers along her spine from the top of her neck to the tip of her tail to see if she shows any signs of discomfort. You can also feel if her spine has an unusual knot or bump that doesn't feel like the rest of her spine. If she shows discomfort, a holistic vet (trained in this specialty) will be able to realign her spine and hopefully give her better mobility.

Also, please make sure that your cat is eating organic high protein food - read the label. The link below to petfoodtracker will give you some options and keep you informed about the recall. Today's basic pet foods are loaded with growth hormones, pesticides and stuff that isn't fit for humans - like diseased animals, animal parts that people can't digest, etc. Cats need meat for proper nutrition as they are carnivores. Lack of meat in their diet can lead to kidney problems and more.

Current Safe Pet Foods List supplied by PETA.org:

Active Life Pet Products

1-877-291-2913

www.activelifepp.com

Amoré Pet Services, Inc.

1-866-572-6673

www.amorepetfoods.com

Animal Food Services

1-800-743-0322

www.animalfood.com

Artemis Pet Food— NEW

1-800-282-5876

www.artemiscompany.com

Azmira Holistic Animal Care

1-800-497-5665

www.azmira.com

Burns Pet Health, Inc.

1-877-983-9651

www.burnspethealth.com

Canusa International

519-624-5697

www.canusaint.com

CountryPet Pet Food

1-800-454-7387

www.countrypet.com

Dr. Harvey's

1-866-362-4123

www.drharveys.com

Dry Fork Milling Co.

1-800-346-1360

Dynamite Marketing, Inc.

208-887-9410

www.dynamitemarketing.com

Evanger's Dog and Cat Food Co., Inc.

1-800-288-6796

www.evangersdogfood.com

Evolution Diet, Inc. (entirely vegan)

1-800-659-0104

www.petfoodshop.com

Good Dog Foods, Inc.

732-842-4555

www.gooddogfoods.com

GreenTripe.Com

831-726-3255

www.greentripe.com

Halo, Purely for Pets

1-800-426-4256

www.halopets.com

Happy Dog Food

1-800-359-9576

www.happydogfood.com

Harbingers of a New Age (entirely vegan)

406-295-4944

www.vegepet.com

Holistic Blend

1-800-954-1117

www.holisticblend.com

The Honest Kitchen

858-483-5995

www.thehonestkitchen.com

Know Better Dog Food

1-866-922-6463

www.knowbetterdogfood.com

KosherPets, Inc.

954-938-6270

www.kosherpets.com

Kumpi Pet Foods

303-699-8562

www.kumpi.com

Natural Balance Pet Foods, Inc. (has vegan options)

1-800-829-4493

www.naturalbalanceinc.com

Natural Life Pet Products, Inc. (has vegan options)

1-800-367-2391

www.nlpp.com

Nature's Variety

1-888-519-7387

www.naturesvariety.com

Newman's Own Organics—NEW

www.newmansownorganics.com

PetGuard (has vegan options)

1-800-874-3221

904-264-8500

www.petguard.com

Pied Piper Pet & Wildlife

1-800-338-4610

www.piedpiperpet.com

PoshNosh Inc.

613-747-1542

1-866-893-4006 (Outside Ottawa-Outaouais)

Raw Advantage, Inc.

360-387-5158

www.rawadvantagepetfood.com

Rocky Mountain Natural Products

1-877-768-6788 (Eastern U.S.)

1-800-665-5521 (Western U.S.)

www.rmtnp.com

Sauder Feeds, Inc.

260-627-2196

www.sauderfeeds.com

Stella & Chewy's LLC—NEW

718-522-9673

www.stellaandchewys.com

Timberwolf Organics, Inc.

407-877-8779

www.timberwolforganics.com

V-dogfood LLC (entirely vegan)—NEW

1-888-280-8364

www.V-dogfood.com

Veterinary Nutritional Formula

1-800-811-0530

www.vnfpetfood.com

Wow-Bow Distributors Ltd. (has vegan options)

1-800-326-0230

www.wow-bow.com

Wysong Professional Diets (has vegan options)

1-800-748-0188

www.wysong.net

• 4 years ago

There was once this stray cat that came visiting now and again and it acted find it irresistible had issues together with his hind leg. We learned that the leg wasnt damaged like we idea, however as a substitute that leg was once deformed. It lacked the muscle force and the bones had been brittle. Cats will also be in an severe quantity of affliction and nonetheless placed on a blissful face since they observe they want support and humans opt for a blissful injured cat over a loopy hissing injured cat. I suppose they have an understanding of that they have to maintain cool to get the support they want. You must without doubt take him to the vet. Good good fortune!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Most likely a genetic defect due to years of inbreeding to perfect the breed standard. Probably where the arthritis comes from as well, as I can't imagine that condition is very common in a 7 month old kitten.

If she's otherwise healthy, I wouldn't worry too much about it. I wouldn't let her outside unsuperivised, though, as she'll have trouble getting away from potential dangers quickly.

*edit*

Do not feed a vegan diet, as the poster below me listed some foods that have vegan options. Cats are carnivores and vegan diets will lead to many deficiencies, health problems, and eventual death.

• 1 decade ago

wow i wonder if it could be nerve damage ? , i see these cats all the times and when they cross the street their back legs are so weak 'that they roll on the street for 2seconds then get up and do it all again.,. i have never seen this before .. the cats are feral so i can;t ask about this condition,.,. lol

Source(s): cats owner +helper 40yrs
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Dotr
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

possible old accident or birth defect??

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.