Can my employer cancel my health insurance?

I gave my boss my two weeks notice on a Friday as I had received another job offer. I worked that next week. My boss called me that following Sunday night to let me know he no longer needed me to come in. So he technically fired me as I only worked one of the two weeks. I did not even attempt to collect... show more I gave my boss my two weeks notice on a Friday as I had received another job offer. I worked that next week. My boss called me that following Sunday night to let me know he no longer needed me to come in.
So he technically fired me as I only worked one of the two weeks.
I did not even attempt to collect unemployment due to the fact I would be starting the new job.
I went to a doctor's appointment the following Wednesday (when I should have still been working) and paid only my insurance co-pay. I recently received a bill from the doctor's noting my insurance was cancelled and now I am responsible for the bill.
I heard it was against NY state law or COBRA law (I worked and live in NY) to cancel an employee's insurance until 30 days AFTER termination. Can anyone confirm or refute this? A website or document of some kind would be great so I can forward along to my former employer.