How much could you make working as a barista in NYC?

I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's worked for Starbucks or any of the "chain" type coffee places (as well as anyone who's worked for the smaller independents), in Manhattan. On average, what sort of hourly rate can a barista earn, and what sort of tips could one bring home on any... show more I'd be interested in hearing from anyone who's worked for Starbucks or any of the "chain" type coffee places (as well as anyone who's worked for the smaller independents), in Manhattan. On average, what sort of hourly rate can a barista earn, and what sort of tips could one bring home on any given day?

Thanks.
Update: "barrister" - a counsel admitted to plead at the bar and undertake the public trial of causes in an English superior court. "barista" - a person who makes and serves coffee (as espresso) to the public. I think I used the correct spelling, but thanks anyhow for your insightful comment,... show more "barrister" - a counsel admitted to plead at the bar and undertake the public trial of causes in an English superior court.

"barista" - a person who makes and serves coffee (as espresso) to the public.

I think I used the correct spelling, but thanks anyhow for your insightful comment, which had absolutely nothing to do with the question I asked.