Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

what was the full and proper title of Queen Mary 1st?

I think here full title should have been along this lines: Her Catholic Majesty, Mary, by the Gracie of God, Queen of England, France, Ireland, Castile, Leon, Aragon, Jersualum, Granda, Sicily, Naples Duchess of Barcelona & Burgandy, Duke of Normandy and Lancaster, Lady of Biscay Defender of the faith

She was married to Phillip 2nd of spain a haspburg so would she have been a Austiran Archduches and Imperial Princess of the Holy ROman Empire

Favorite Answer

See the quote below from Wikipedia, under the sub-heading "Style and arms." I don't know where they got it, as it is not footnoted.

"Style and arms

Like Henry VIII and Edward VI, Mary used the style "Majesty," as well as "Highness" and "Grace." "Majesty," which Henry VIII first used on a consistent basis, did not become exclusive until the reign of Elizabeth I's successor, James I.

When Mary ascended the throne, she was proclaimed under the same official style as Henry VIII and Edward VI: "Mary, by the Grace of God, Queen of England, France and Ireland, Defender of the Faith, and of the Church of England and also of Ireland in Earth Supreme Head". The "supremacy phrase" at the end of the style was repugnant to Mary's Roman Catholic faith; from 1554 onwards, she omitted the phrase without statutory authority, which was not retroactively granted by Parliament until 1555.

Under Mary's marriage treaty with Philip II of Spain, the couple were jointly styled King and Queen. The official joint style reflected not only Mary's but also Philip's dominions and claims; it was "Philip and Mary, by the grace of God, King and Queen of England, France, Naples, Jerusalem, Chile and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Princes of Spain and Sicily, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Milan, Burgundy and Brabant, Counts of Habsburg, Flanders and Tyrol". This style, which had been in use since 1554, was replaced when Philip inherited the Spanish Crown in 1556 with "Philip and Mary, by the Grace of God King and Queen of England, Spain, France, Jerusalem, both the Sicilies and Ireland, Defenders of the Faith, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Burgundy, Milan and Brabant, Counts of Habsburg, Flanders and Tyrol".(1)

The second quote is from TudorHistory, the style for Mary and Philip (before his ascension to the Spanish throne) is a little different, and, again, is not footnoted. The author states that all information is in the public domain.

"Philip and Mary, by the grace of God, King and Queen of England, France and Naples, Jerusalem and Ireland, defenders of the faith, Princes of Spain and Sicily, Archdukes of Austria, Dukes of Milan, Burgundy and Brabant, Counts of Habsburg, Flanders and the Tyrol."(2)

(1) Mary I of England. (2007, April 12). In Wikipedia, The Free Encyclopedia. Retrieved 23:49, April 12, 2007, from http://en.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?title=Mary_I_o...

(2) Mary I. (2007, April 13). In TudorHistory. Retrieved 00:05, April 13, 2007 from http://tudorhistory.org/mary/queen.html

Interesting question. I did some poking around online, and can find nothing except "Mary, Queen of England." I would think that at the very least she would be "Mary, Queen of England and Ireland."

Interesting article below

• I'm just guessing here, but it seems to me that his possessions would have remained his, and hers hers, and thus you would omit the Hapsburg possessions unless he had her formally declared so. (I don't remember if he did or not.) Other than that, you've got it right.

I am not sure about her titles. but she is remembered as Bloody Mary.