What would look better for B-school admission?

graduated in may 06 and have been in operations (finance) since--I have absolutely no leadership opportunities at my current company. I'm debating going into the army. I could go in as an officer and be grouped randomly into a branch and get immediate leadership experience (anywhere from 10-200 enlisted soldiers) or I could go in for intelligence and get 3 practical yrs exp and pick up a TS clearance, and possible a foreign language.

I took a practice gmat and scored 670 with about a day of studying. Long term I want to be a consultant at a top firm. Which of these options do you feel would look better for the applications process?

Oh, I am looking to apply to Farqua, Columbia, Darden, Smith

*I will try to get the Gmat 700+ in the next year or so....

* All the men in my family have served in the Army (Grandfather)/Airforce(Father)..

Favorite Answer

I have an MBA and 15 years of experience working in the financial services industry. I think you are right to think about the experience you are getting now, because it will not only help you get into a business program, but also set you up for the sort of job you do after business school.

With that in mind, you need to think a lot about what you want to do after business school. What sort of consultant do you want to be? What sort of industries do you want to consult in? Besides direct management skills, what other skills would you get from joining the army? For example, if you would like to consult on the logistics end of a company, then maybe the Army is a good match. If you want to consult with financial firms, then maybe switching to a more challenging role in a financial firm is the way to go. In my experience, the big consulting firms are organized into different practices that specialize in different industry sectors and functional specialties. I suppose that there are consultants that deal in high-level topics such as organizational design and change management, but you will probably start off in a specific practice. Go to the web sites of some firms that you might want to work for (e.g. pricewaterhousecoopers) and look at how they are organized into different practice areas. Once you have an idea of where you want to fit in, then look to change to a job that will take you one step closer to that goal.

One last point...early in your career, you need to make sure that you don't get stuck in a job that is not challenging or that does not position you for your long-term future. It is much easier to make a job or industry switch early in your career rather than later when you are making more money and there are fewer senior level jobs. Good luck!