Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Arts & HumanitiesBooks & Authors · 1 decade ago

Science fiction/fantasy book recommendations?

I just finished the rather dull novel I was reading and need a recommendation for a good, new science fiction or fantasy novel. I like authors like Philip K. Dick, Harlan Ellison, Michael Moorcock, Storm Constantine, Tanith Lee, Anne MacCaffrey, Larry Niven, Arthur C. Clarke, Isaac Asimov, the late Fritz Lieber, the late Roger Zelazny, Jude Fisher, Ian Banks. I do not like long, boring series, vampire novels, military science fiction or sequels (with a few notable exceptions). Any good recommendations? Best recent novel I read was "Code Noir" by Marianne des Pierres, an Australian SF writer. It was kind of "William Gibson meets Philip K. Dick, with a little China Meiville thrown in". Highly recommended.

• ap1188
    Best Answer

Always nice to run into another Dick fan, and you mentioned some of my other favorite authors, too (Ellison, Constantine, Clark, and Zelazny). I'm going to enjoy making these recommendations, as you have very good taste in the genre.

First, if you haven't already, check out A Game of Thrones by George R.R. Martin. He's fantasy with an edge to it, gritty, dark, and very original. He has no qualms about ending things on an unsettling note or killing off key characters. Each chapter is narrated by a different character, giving the whole thing a multi-dimensional effect. There are no good guys, no bad guys, but plenty of character-driven drama. I normally warn about adult themes (including repeated mentioning of incest), but if you've read Constantine's work, you should be just fine. This is definitely a great fantasy series to check out.

Idlewild by Nick Sagan. You should enjoy this one. It's very William Gibson meets Philip K. Dick, and while it was definitely influenced by movies like The Matrix and even Roger Zelazny's Amber Chronicles, it has a lot of original thoughts. It's also well written, character-driven, and compelling. Nothing's what it seems, and that's all I really want to say without giving away any details or plot twists. Good book, though, and you should definitely check it out.

Warchild by Karin Lowachee. I can never recommend this book highly enough. Hands down it's one of my favorite SF books after Dick's work. I normally don't like much space opera, but this one book is so unique, so fascinating, I couldn't help but read it all in one go, it was so engrossing. Lowachee plays with point of view and narration, and the voice of her narrator is haunting and chilling at times. It's full of humanity and realism, which is hard to capture in the genre. There are also plenty of parallels you can draw to our current political situation over in the Middle East. If you like dark, gritty, and unsettling SF, you should definitely check this book out, and it's the first in what's turning out to be a very good series.

Nightwatch by Sergei Lukyanenko: If you like Meiville, you'll definitely love Lukyanenko. His books are just now being translated into English, but he's already a sensation in Russia. Nightwatch is the first book in the trilogy, with the sequel Daywatch just released last month. It introduces us to a modern Moscow inhabited by the Others: magicians, shapeshifters, and the mention of vampires (just a mention, though, they don't really factor into the plot). Lukyanenko's work is so fascinating because even though his characters are supposed to be strictly divided into Light and Dark, you see "good" characters committing heinous acts of evil in the name of their cause, and vice versa. If Dick wrote fantasy, I think it would be something like this.

Dragon's Winter by Elizabeth A. Lynn. This is one of my favorite fantasy novels. It's lyrical and eloquent, and Lynn gives her fantasy world a sense of depth and history by including myths and legends that her characters relate and believe in. I find her writing very beautiful and her story, while simple, is still quite moving. It's a good change of pace from some of the darker books on this list. The sequel, Dragon's Treasure, is nowhere near as good, though still a decent read.

Good luck finding new reading material!

• Rose D

Some writers I've enjoyed:

Sheri S Tepper

Neil Gaiman

Neal Stephenson

William Gibson

Bruce Sterling

Connie Willis

Orson Scott Card

Charles DeLint

Terry Pratchett

Douglas Adams

Christopher Moore

Naomi Novik

I'm surprised you didn't mention Ursula K Le Guin nor Octavia Butler. The Disposessed, The Left Hand of Darkness, and Bloodchild, are fascinating politically, philosophically, and in an other-worldly way; Butler's Kindred is both a unique time-travel puzzle and a complex, close-up study of US slavery in the 19th century. All four books are gripping and suspenseful.

And then there's Stanislaw Lem -- funny and fun with ideas -- for instance Star Diaries and Cyberiad; not humorous but intriguing is Solaris: scientists playing games with a sentient ocean.

• Bob Mc

The best series I've ever read is George R.R. Martin's A Game of Thrones: A Song of Fire and Ice. It's long, each book 600 plus pages, but definitely worth it. He's currently writing the next book in the series so you have some time to catch up. You won't be disappointed.

Check out:

these 1st 2 are sort of "cutting edge"

fantasy/sci-fi out of the UK.

The Year of Our War, Steph Swainston

9Tail Fox

by Jon Courtenay Grimwood

an oldie but a goodie:

Snow Crash

Neal Stephenson

newer, sort of Pern meets Horatio Hornblower:

His Majesty's Dragon

Naomi Novik

Also check out books by Pat Cadigan, more cyberpunk/psychologic in nature.

The Jewels of Aptor - Samuel R Delaney

The Swans' War Series by Sean Russell

Pendragon is amazing. I have yet to read the most recent one, though. Some other good books are Eragon, A Clockwork Orange, Alice's Adventures in Wonderland, The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy, Harry Potter! Those are only a few.

Neil Gaiman is always good. Susanna Clarke? The guy who wrote Fevre Dream? Tim Powers who wrote The Anubis Gates?

Try this fantasy series....."fire of heaven" trilogy by Russell Kirkpatrick. He is a new zealand writer. i enjoyed his books.

I also like Sara Douglass, an Austarlian writer you might want to try.