What gifts can I give a child who has leukemia and is in the hopital?

My friend's 3 year old child was just diagnosed with Leukemia and is in the hospital undergoing kemotherapy. The parents are both sleeping at the hospital every night and will be there for the next several nights. I'm not sure how sterile things need to be in order for her to play with them and i don't know what the parents need. Does anyone have some suggestions for me?

Favorite Answer

Give the parents a gift certificate to a restuarant along with a hand written one saying you will offer to babysit for the child once she is out of the hospital so they can go out. For the child a nice stuffed animal would be nice or a special pillow or blanket. Coloring books and crayons is another idea.

Leukemia Gifts

First, Do you know what the child likes to play with. Sick or not a child is a child.Do not treat the child as though they are dying. Going through what this child is they need something to smile about so give it. Ask the hospital about the sterile thing. Chances are if that is the case then they know what can be sterlized & what can't & likely can do the job. What about a favorite movie disk. That could help pass the Hrs. too.

• kelsey

A child that age would probably like a sticker book, or a simple hand held game. For the parents, a gift certificate for a nearby restaurant or pizza place, or you could offer to come stay with the child so the parents can get away for a few hours.

First of all, my prayers are with the child and his family... How about a personalized book? Kids love to hear their name in the storyline, it makes them feel so special! Go to this website http://www.tlc-expressions.com They have lots of titles like Sesame Street, Three Little Pigs, Mother Goose, Teddy Bear Land, Farm Animals, Dinosaur Land, Noah's Ark and so many more. Check it out - they're very reasonably priced, and make a wonderful & unique gift... Good Luck!

• CHos3n

Bless you for wanting to bring cheer to a frightening and wearying situation. My advice for you is to call the hospital and ask them directly. They will know best what can and cannot be given to the child. That said, when I worked in a flower shop, we could send mylar balloon into children's critical care units (they're not likely to pop and are out of the way.) Photographs, blown up so the child can easily see them across the room...of smiling friends and family would be a great way to cheer up a room. Brightly colored small "garden" flags could bring some color and cheer for all. Remember to bring a small basket of healthy snack foods and bottled water for the parents.

I'm terribly sorry to hear of your friends sickness. Although it's a very nice gesture anyone takeing kemo, has a low immune system during treatment. I recommend short visits and lots of prayers. Stay in touch, the parents need you as bad as the child.

Love is the best gift you could ever give to a child in need.

Toys for the child, and for the parent bring something nutritious to eat. Offer to stay with them.

And pray for them and the child's immediate recovery.

you should get the child a teddy bear or stuff animal she really likes and her fav. kind of candy but for the parents just ask them if they need something taken care of or even if there hungry you try to cook something that they really like and they can all eat it