Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentOther - Politics & Government · 1 decade ago

Do most people know why the Kurds can never have a homeland?

for example even though you are of kurdish background you can be chrisitan, sunni or shiite , you can live in turkey and speak kurdish but yet have no clue what iraqis, syrian or iranian kurds speak. to diverse as a society. furthermore by attempting to give iraqis kurds some autonomy you will have a direct war with turkey, iran and syria. it is just interesting that the US is trying so hard to seperate iraq in 3 and actually paying each kurd to move to kirkuk $10,000 US. but they dont realize it wont work.

I AM PART KURDISH THAT IS WHY I KNOW

• Gemini
    Favorite Answer

Obviously, Bush and the neocons didn't think out the Kurdish situation too well. It's brewing and it's probably gonna be a big problem in the near future. BTW, Northern Iraq has most of the oil - which always adds volatility to the situation.

You've got the wrong end of the stick. The US is not trying to separate Iraq into 3 autonomous regions. The idea has been mooted and been rejected. In fact, the most recent polls (limited samples, yes, but 5 times the sample pollsters in the US take), tell us the Iraqi people - including the Kurds - roundly reject breaking up Iraq. The reparations you speak of are not to get Kurds to move to Kirkuk, but to compensate Kurds who were displaced under Saddam's Arabification plan during the 1980s when Kurdish properties were confiscated by the government.

There aren't any sizeable Kurdish populations in Syria - if indeed there are any Kurds at all there. Certainly there are Assyrians and other Christians from the North of Iraq in Syria but they are Arabs. The vast majority of Kurds are Sunni Muslims, although some are Shi'ites and a small number are Christians.

The problem Turkey has with the Kurds is with groups like the PUK who want a Kurdish independent state and which has and will continue to commit terrorist acts to get it, and much of that would consist of southern Turkey. This is not unique - no country wants to cede land to ethnic groups. The Kurdish population in Turkey is large enough that it would be tantamount to the United States ceding Texas and perhaps two or three other southwestern states to Mexican-Americans.

Historically, the Kurds and Turkomen are not enemies. During the Crusades and the Ottoman Empire, Kurds fought with and for the Turks. In the former instance, remember that the top general of the Muslim armies Saladin was a Kurd; in the latter, you will know that the Arabs (Muslim and Christian alike) were allied with the British and French, and the Kurds were allied with the Turks in the pre and post WW1 period.

The ideal for the Kurds of course would be if Turkey, Iran and Iraq could agree to cede land to the Kurds for the establishment of an independent Kurdish state in return for a permanent peace treaty between nations, but considering some old emnities and man's natural inclination to dominate indigenous peoples rather than live side by side in harmony, Kurdish independence seems rather unlikely in the near future. However, if Turkey joins the EU the "Kurdish problem" is one they are going to have to address without emotion and without reference to past differences. Personally, I would like to see it (a Kurdish sovereign state) happen sooner rather than later, but I'm not a politician, I'm not from the Middle East and I tend to root for the underdog. I feel the Kurdish population is sizeable enough, and the Kurdish people industrious enough, to warrant it. Few can deny it's a noble aspiration and one worth serious consideration.

Just because they have no homeland now doesn't mean that it is not possilbe in the future. Unlike the Gypsies and Basques Kurdish people have ahd their own autonomy in the past until it was stripped from them by others. Never say never, especially when it concerns an entire culture of people. They have just as much right having their own autonomy as any other group of people, perhaps not now or any time soon, but sometime in the foreseeable future.

P.S. I have Kurdish blood in my veins and will never give up hope for a future Kurdish homeland, no matter how skeptical and negative everyone else is regarding such possibilities.

If Northern Iraq becomes Kurdistan, there might be a war between the US and Turkey. All the Kurds in Eastern Turkey and the entire region will want to join Kurdistan.

What you're going to find different from the Past is that the Kurds have resources now...they are no longer nomadic people fighting in the hills from Saddam or the Turks. They have oil money and base homeland plus a solid relationship with US military, US State Department and US CIA. For Turkey and Iraq and Syria will find that these people, who already have known reputation for being tough fighters, will be even tougher now that they have relationships with the world arms dealers to exchange their Kirkuk oil money with. These people will not roll over for your past reputation...and I bet when attacked, they will give Turkey, Syria and Iraq a bloody nose. Kurdistan will be a certainty and there is nothing Turkey or Syria can do.

Since you felt the need to email me and call me an idiot...the truth is that Turkey could never handle its criticism of human rights violations and can't handle the truth...Been in denial forever in killing Armenians and recently ethnic cleansing in Cyprus. I don't care if you call yourself part Kurd...I know when I smell a Turk. Your 9th ranked Military isn't nothing without US and NATO backing...the Ottoman days are over. The US will provide the Kurds Sacuatary, from there they will grow. Do you think we, the US, are going to spend a Trillion Dollars on Saving the Kurds from Saddam to turn them over to the Turks. We're going to arm them to the tooth so they can defend themselves. So, get ready for Kurdistan in Northern Iraq...good or bad, you can thank George Bush.

So by your logic, no one is entitled to a homeland.

You might be right that the politics of creating a Kurdish homeland are daunting. However, that's a different argument than saying that no one is entitled to a homeland.

I disagree with your logic.

• Suze

I still don't get it. I understand that Kurds are a broad spectrum of people from all kinds of beliefs and backgrounds, but why can't they be welcome wherever they go? What have they done to deserve to be wiped off the planet?

In all you said, you didn't mention the word evil so why can't the Kurds have some human respect, understanding and compassion?

Turks are racist.

It is illegal in Turkey for any Christians to be trained as priests.

Christian seminaries are outlawed in Turkey.

Turkish Muslims want Christian priests to die out and for Christians to leave their country.

Turks are racists against Kurds and Armenians.

1 million Armenians were slaughtered by Turks in 1917.

Turks trying to ethnically cleanse Kurds on a daily basis.

Turks want Palestinians to have a homeland but not the Kurds? Sounds like Islamic bigotry to me.

So the other Kurds would get in the whey?

Kurdistan