What does "Your virtual memory is low mean"?? And how do I fix it??

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Windows uses part of your hard drive as Virtual Memory, it is also know as a Swap File. Basically, it takes control of a portion of your hard drive to use as it's own scratch pad area and temporary storage. Usually, Windows does a good job of controlling it and keeping it set to a high enough capacity that you shouldn't get that message. However, if you leave your computer on all the time and never reboot it then you run the risk of "running out" of virtual memory. A simple reboot should fix the problem. If it continues to happen then you can allocate more manually.

To do that - Right click My Computer Icon and then select Properties. Click on the Advanced tab and then click on the Settings and then the advanced tab again. Down towards the bottom in the Virtual Memory Area there is a change button. Click that and then you can set the Virtual Memory to a custom size, for each drive you have if you want. I recommend setting it to Inital 512MB and Maximum to 4096MB if your harddrive has that amount free.

If your harddrive doesn't have that amount of space free then you need to clear some things off your hard drive and that will help too. Hope this helps...

• 1 decade ago

The virtual memory is a space on your hard drive used to smoothen the running of your PC when u r multitaskin' i.e. when u r running more than 2 prog ata tym. The space is used as the physical memory(RAM) is insufficient. You've got 2 solutions:

1. Buy another 256mb or 512mb of RAM and add it to ur PC. This will greatly enhance the running of ur PC.

2. Else if you've got lots of free space you can increase your virtual emory to the max. allowed by Windows i.e. 4096mb.

If you wanna do that then Right-click on My Computer, then click the Advanced tab above. You should be able to see the Settings button under Performance, click on it. Then, another window will appear with the Advanced tab once more. Click on the latter and then u'll see the Change button. Click that, another window should appear and change the current setting to Custom Size and set the Maximum size to 4096mb or as you deem appropriate.

Hope this wil help!

May the luck of the Gods be with you!

• Alex S
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

Virtual memory is additional harddisk space allocated

to "simulate" real memory. It's basically a reserve if your

using more real memory than you actually have. If you're

getting this warning without a prior warning about extending

virtual memory it usually means your disk is full. If it happens

alot you should considder expanding your real memory.

Virtual memory is significantly slower. If you only get it once

in a while and don't mind the speed impact just free up some

space on your disk.

Note: If you have more than one disk/partition the virtual

memory is hosted on the C: drive by default. You need the

free space there.

• 1 decade ago

These guys are telling you where to set a custom size which is correct.

I set all of the Windows XP computers I work on with a custom size. With a top number of 2048, and a bottom number of 4096. Windows will match the amount of ram you have to create a manageable virtual memory. Don't forget to press the set button, and you will have to restart your computer

You do not have to increase your physical ram to achieve this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 4 years ago

what u need to do is some system clean up.. Press CTRL + SHIFT + ESC and get the task manager. click on the memory tab and see which program is using more memory and if its really required. if not required, end it, Uninstal any unused programs in the list in add and remove programs. clear the temporary internet files, history and temp and if u have enough time, do a disk defragmentation. that should do the trick

• 1 decade ago

It can really mean a lot of different things. Sometimes it's hard drive space, but not always.

When you post questions for help, list as much detail as you can about your PC. We need to know what version of Windows, CPU type, amount of memory, etc.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

your computer maked virtual memory which is on the hard drive. If your hd is full or close to it, you will run out of space. buying a new hard drave (hd) or more memory (better) will solve the problem

• 7S282
    Lv 4
    1 decade ago

Add more memory to your system, go to crucial.com and install their system checker it will tell you exactly how much memory you have in your system and how much it can support.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.