joe asked in HealthMen's Health · 1 decade ago

is this normal for a 48 year old? guys any answers?

well as i approached 48..i started to gain some weight, but there is no chang ein my diet. i have always eaten healthy and small amounts but i am gaining quite a bit of weight. when i was 47 at my yarly check up i was 162..i went for my yearly 6month 48 year check up i was 201. my wife said maybe i have slow metabolism, or i could just be getting old. could this be it? guys has this happend to you?

Favorite Answer

As men get older, their bodies quit producing as many hormones as they did in our younger days. The results are weight gain and loss of energy. Even without a change in diet, you can begin gaining weight. An exercise program to boost your metabolism would definitely help. You will also find that it is harder to lose the extra weight than it was 15 years ago.

the same thing started happening to my mom. she was doing a hell of a lot of excersice and eating healthy like always....now she is eating less than before and still gaining the weight....but it's got a lot to do with me and my twin ripping her belly when we were inside....and well slow metabolism??....

for a slow metabolism go for brisk half hour walks every morning. this boosts your metabolism...it has to be the morning....oh and stress can make u put on pound after pound (my mom's experiance).

hope that helps a bit. good luck.

Since it came on relatively fast, go see a doctor for a complete check up. More than likely your thyroid is starting to shut down a bit. It sometimes happens. Or you could be looking at the beginning of Diabetes II(Late on-set Diabetes).

It's the onset of male menopause. Your testosterone levels are dropping, your metabolism is slowing down and unless your Barry Bonds you will have trouble building new muscle. The diet that you used to maintain your weight previously will now put weight on you and it will be a b**ch to get it off.

Source(s): Me-53yo

Sam here but I used to play tennis at least 15 hours a week when younger. Bet your heartbeat has slowed as well.

As you age, your metabolism slows. To maintain weight as you age, you have to either increase exercise, or limit intake. It's just another bad effect of aging.

• Manik

well i am not so old to explain any practical personal experience..but if you don feel any physical problem then no need to keep record so neatly and to be worried and get anxious about your growth..tell your wife not to comment about your body growth slow or fast "metabolism!" unless she is a medical professional..don bother about what your wife says..as it is beyond your control (about your bodies metabolism process)

Source(s): conscious mind

Your caloric needs are dropping. So eating the same amount as before means you maybe taking in too many now.

stress can cause significant weight gain...but yeah ur metabolism could be slowing....

best of luck

take a look around at older men and women...they all pack on the pounds....you are just getting old like the rest of us