How do you get a marriage liscense for a destination wedding?

I am really confused and hopefully somebody who has had a destination wedding in the past can help me!

How did you get your marriage liscense? Did you fly to your destination weeks before and get it and then fly back? I am so confused! I am specifically talking about Florida.

10 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Best Answer

    If you hire the officiant first they will know all the details. But here is what I could find for you

    For single adults to obtain a marriage license they must both be 18 years or older and come into the Clerk's office together (exceptions can be made only when there is good cause in extreme circumstances.) Bring your driver's license and Social Security Number (Card not needed, just the number)..Non-U.S. Citizens may submit a naturalization number, immigration number or passport number. The process for obtaining a marriage license normally takes no more than 30 minutes. When the application is filed, the license is issued immediately.

    If either party has been widowed or divorced, they must know the month/day/year that the marriage ended.

    The fee to obtain a marriage license is $93.50, however, applicants who file a certification that both parties have completed a state-sanctioned marriage preparation course for (Florida resident's only) within the past 12 months, are entitled to a discount of ($32.50), making the fee $61.00. The Clerk's Office maintains a list of registered course providers. You may make payment by personal check or cash.

    For Florida residents who file certification that they both have completed a state-sanctioned marriage preparation course within the past 12 months, there is no waiting period. For Florida residents who have not taken the course, there is a full three-day waiting period between issuance of the license and the time it becomes valid for use. (Note: The parties may take the course separately, they are not required to take it together, but both must take it in order to qualify for the discount and both must read a 16 page Family Law Handbook (copy provided by the Clerk's Office).

    The waiting period does not apply to nonresidents of Florida. If one party is a resident of Florida and the other party is a nonresident the three-day waiting period is waived only if the Florida resident takes the state-sanctioned marriage preparation course, but no discount is given.

    The law provides waiving the three-day waiting period if the parties declare there is a specific "hardship" or "good cause." A County Court Judge must make the determination of approving a waiver of the delayed effective date before the marriage license is issued.

    A Florida marriage license is valid for 60 days from date of validity. The marriage license must be returned to the clerk's office for recording within 10 days after the marriage is performed.

    Certified copies are normally mailed out within 10 days after recording in official records to the couple. One certified copy is provided as part of the marriage license fee. Extra-certified copies may be obtained for a fee of $2.50 each.

    There are restrictions for obtaining a marriage license. To obtain a license without parental consent - both male and female must be at least 18 years of age. The 18-year minimum age does not apply for individuals who have been married previously. A County Court Judge can waive the age requirements for applicants who can prove that they are parents or expectant parents.

    No license to marry shall be granted to any person under the age of 16 years of age, with or without the consent of the parents (unless both parties sworn under oath that they are the parents of a child, or when the fact of a pregnancy is verified by the written statement of a licensed physician) and only then, the County Court Judge can issue the license.

    Both parents must give their consent for a minor to marry, except if only one parent has sole legal custody of the minor or if the other parent is deceased. (Provide documents)

    There are no citizenship requirements for couples wanting to marry in the State of Florida.

    Deputy clerk's can perform civil ceremonies in the clerk's office. There is a charge of $30.00 for that service. However, a clerk cannot perform the marriage ceremony at the time the license is obtained if the three-day waiting period applies. The clerk's office asks for a 24-hour appointment in advance. Weddings are performed between the hours of 9:00 am to 11:00 am and from 2:30 pm to 4:00 pm, Monday through Friday (except for holidays)

    A blood test is not required in the State of Florida.

    Florida law prohibits close blood relations from legally marrying. These include such relationships as parent-child, brother-sister, uncle-niece, and aunt-nephew. The nearest degree of relations who may legally marry in the State of Florida is first cousins.

    Marriages between persons of the same gender are not recognized in the State of Florida.

    Every marriage license shall be issued by a County Judge or Clerk of the Circuit Court under his hand and seal. The County Judge or Clerk of the Circuit Court shall issue such license, upon application for the license, if there appears to be no impediments to the marriage. (F.S. 741.01)

    It is unlawful for any County Court Judge or Clerk of the Circuit Court in the state to send out of his office any marriage license signed in blank to be issued upon application to persons not in the office of the County Judge or Clerk of the Circuit Court. (F.S. 741.03)

    Under some unusual circumstances, and at the discretion of the marriage license supervisor, an application may be filled out by one of the parties (leaving no blanks), with the understanding that the absent party will provide sworn certification subsequently in order for the license procedure to be properly validated, as required by Chapter 741 of the Florida Statutes.

    All regularly ordained ministers of the gospel or elders in communion with some church, or other ordained clergy, and all judicial officers, clerks of the circuit courts, and notaries public of this state may solemnize the rights of matrimonial contract, under the regulations prescribed by law.

    Any marriage which may be had and solemnized among the people called "Quakers" or "Friends" in the manner and form used or practiced in their societies, according to their rites and ceremonies, shall be good and valid in law; and whenever the words "minister" and "elder" are used in this chapter, they shall be held to include all the persons connected with the society of Friends, or Quakers, who perform or have charge of the marriage ceremony according to their rites and ceremonies. (F.S. 741.07)

  • 4 years ago


    Source(s): Marriage Records Search Database -
  • grime
    Lv 4
    3 years ago

    Destination Wedding Marriage License

  • 1 decade ago

    Dont worry! First, call the county in Florida where you are getting married and ask them how long the license is valid.

    Most likely, you do not need to make an extra trip. If you arrive early for your wedding, you can probably get it one or two days before.

    We came from Japan to get married in Calif, and we got our license just 2 days before.

    PS: Double-check their hours of operation and their requirements.

  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 decade ago

    You need to contact the COUNTY you plan to be married in to see what THEIR requirements are. It varies from state to state. And if you are marrying out of the country you need SPECIFIC documents.

    Some will give you the license the same day. Others make you wait 3 days. And some make you wait 3 days to marry, AFTER you get the license.

    You will no doubt both need to be present, have photo ID, birth certificate; not a copy, any divorce papers, death certificate. Any blood test or physical exam results.

    Some states require for one of you to be a resident.

    Ohio residents get their license in the county in which they LIVE; where as non residents must get their license in the county in which they plan to get married. And KY's marriage license lets you get married anywhere in the state. Soooooooo confusing.

    Source(s): minister in cincy
  • Larry
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago

    We got married in Hawaii. We travelled there, got the wedding license one morning, and took it to the judge that afternoon and got married. Check with Florida to see how long it takes to get their wedding license. You don't need to go there early, maybe the day before or something like that.

  • Tracy
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

    For the best answers, search on this site

    How she signs the wedding license has no bearing on her new name. She can sign whatever she wants - she has to fill out a "change of name" form (you can get them from the courthouse or on your state government's website) AFTER you receive your copy of the marriage certificate (not the license that allows you to wed, the document showing that you were in fact wed). When she gets that form, she can choose what she wants for her "legal name": Kara Mueller Schartz, Kara Marie Mueller-Schartz, etc. It can be whatever combination she wants. After she fills out the form and gets her new ID and social security card, etc, she can change her name on her bank accounts, at her work, etc. If she hyphenates her last name to Mueller-Schartz, that whole thing becomes her new last name. First name Kara, middle name Marie, last name Mueller-Schartz. If she is keeping her original maiden name (Kara Marie Mueller) as her legal name, she does not have to fill out a change of name form.

  • 1 decade ago

    what ever state your in you have to go to the court house for a marriage license, have proof of birthdate , birth certificate and social securtiy. good luck.

  • Anonymous
    5 years ago


    If you want to know everything about someone, you should check this amazing service

    Hope it helps.

  • Lydia
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Your travel agent will have all this information.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.