What happens when Meiosis goes wrong?

I am writing a paper for class and need to know what happens Meiosis goes wrong. Along with what diseases develop from it going wrong. Thanks!

3 Answers

Relevance
  • x
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

If nondisjunction occurs, the offspring gets the wrong number of chromosomes, which can cause Down Syndrome, Klinefelter Syndrome, Turner Syndrome, etc.

Another mistake can be chromosomal translocation, which simply means that part of one chromosome broke off and joined a different chromosome without being replaced. Some example effects are anaplastic large cell Lymphoma, Burkitt's Lymphoma, Mantle Cell Lymphoma, Ewing's Sarcoma, Follicular Lymphoma, Dermatofibrosarcoma Protuberans, Acute Myelogenous Leukemia, Acute Promyelotic Leukemia, Synovial Sarcoma, Schizophrenia, etc.

Other problems can result based on point mutations. ex: cri du chat syndrome.

Since you're writing a whole paper, I'd recomend researching "nondisjunction," "translocation," types of "point mutations, and types of "frameshift mutations." I'm sure that you could find a website that has plenty of information on each type of meiosis related problem. (If you just want basic background info before you start doing serious research, look at "nondisjunction" and "translocation" in Wikipedia.)

• 4 years ago

If mitosis is going incorrect and the cells multiply out of control maximum cancers will in all probability take place If meiosis is going incorrect you in all probability will finally end up with intercourse cells that may not produce a healthful newborn.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

small limbs and retardation

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.