Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and beginning April 20th, 2021 (Eastern Time) the Yahoo Answers website will be in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

What kind of insurance will I need for an E-Commerce business?

I am working on starting up my own online store, and have my business license, EIN, etc. Next I figured I had better get insurance, and I am not really sure where to go for this. Do I need to get an E-Commerce Insurance plan? Is that all I would need or would I need more than just that?

5 Answers

  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    Talk to a reputable hometown broker, perferrable with experience in interstate commerce.

    There will doubtless be product liability, generla liability, completed operations coverage if you do any sort of repair or manufacturing, etc etc.

    A large broker may be able to set your up with non-standrad sourcing like Lloyds or similar foreign underwriters that will have better, more adaptable coverages for your situation.

    I stress insurance broker rather than insurance agent as borkers are better equipped for these situations.

  • 1 decade ago

    There are several types of insurance coverage that you would need for an E-Commerce business. You would want to find an insurance broker that caters specifically to Tech companies. check out and then click on their Tech program link for more information as an example of such a carrier.

    You would need general liability (GL), professional liability, technology risk insurance, property, and possibly an umbrella. Of course this all depends on what kind of E-commerce business you have. A broker knowlegable in tech companies would be worth consulting.

  • 1 decade ago

    In my country we use this words: "If much better need a insurance then not have when we needed".

    Insurance protect all our interests when we work with sacrifice. I suggest to get a E-Commerce Coverage and protect your asset.

    How do you get a E-Commerce Coverage? or What is a E-Commerce Coverage here the info:

    Good Luck!!!!

    Source(s): Insurance Broker (Puerto Rico)
  • 1 decade ago

    NOTHING is required by law.

    What coverages do you want? Anything for stock? How about a defective product that causes harm? Need anything special as required by a contract with a vendor? ARe you taking payments over the internet?

    In other words, it's not cut and dried - you really need to sit down with a local agent, and have them go over all the possibilities with you.

    Source(s): agent, 21+ years
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.