"Do not drive into smoke" signs in Oklahoma?

When you drive into Oklahoma there are signs that say do not drive into smoke. What do these mean? I've never seen any smoke.

Favorite Answer

Occasionally there are prairie fires in Oklahoma and it's not advisable to drive into the smoke because you never know where the fire is. The visibility during a fire is almost nothing so you risk running off the road, getting stuck, hitting another vehicle or running right into the fire itself. If your car became disabled, you're really in deep trouble because all you can do is sit in the car and wait for the fire to (hopefully) go around you.

There are only a few situations that will cause me to turn my car around - heavy smoke, high water and tornados.

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

Source(s): quot drive smoke quot signs oklahoma: https://tr.im/zCk8F

Smoke is an issue when something is burning. Unfortunately there have been many accidents from people driving through smoke. Oklahoma is just being proactive with the signs. What is wrong with that?

I have lived in NE Oklahoma for 10 years and I have never even seen any smoke. I have always wondered what those signs mean.

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axgDY

Sometimes they control-burn prairie grass or deadwood to keep from a wildfire sparking out of control. You see it prominently in Northern Oklahoma between Enid and Tulsa, especially on I-35 & I-44. I have gone through smoke one time and it is weird because it looks cloudy around you, but in the distance, it is clear. Hope that answers your question!

They also had these signs in Florida when they were having a problem with the brush fires.

During the hot dry months of summer, brush fires will completely eliminate visibility on the road.

Oklahoma is Indian territory. You never know when hostile Chippewa are on the prowl. It s just good sense to NOT drive into smoke - it could be smoke signals from a war party.

Probably just warning you that there is no visibility in smoke. Either due to wind or dust storms, I'm guessing.

i don't know because i never been to oklahoma can it mean that it some danger or hurmful to you