"Do not drive into smoke" signs in Oklahoma?

When you drive into Oklahoma there are signs that say do not drive into smoke. What do these mean? I've never seen any smoke.

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

Occasionally there are prairie fires in Oklahoma and it's not advisable to drive into the smoke because you never know where the fire is. The visibility during a fire is almost nothing so you risk running off the road, getting stuck, hitting another vehicle or running right into the fire itself. If your car became disabled, you're really in deep trouble because all you can do is sit in the car and wait for the fire to (hopefully) go around you.

There are only a few situations that will cause me to turn my car around - heavy smoke, high water and tornados.

• Anonymous
    6 years ago

This Site Might Help You.

RE:

"Do not drive into smoke" signs in Oklahoma?

When you drive into Oklahoma there are signs that say do not drive into smoke. What do these mean? I've never seen any smoke.

Source(s): quot drive smoke quot signs oklahoma: https://tr.im/zCk8F
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

Smoke is an issue when something is burning. Unfortunately there have been many accidents from people driving through smoke. Oklahoma is just being proactive with the signs. What is wrong with that?

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

I have lived in NE Oklahoma for 10 years and I have never even seen any smoke. I have always wondered what those signs mean.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    5 years ago

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axgDY

Sometimes they control-burn prairie grass or deadwood to keep from a wildfire sparking out of control. You see it prominently in Northern Oklahoma between Enid and Tulsa, especially on I-35 & I-44. I have gone through smoke one time and it is weird because it looks cloudy around you, but in the distance, it is clear. Hope that answers your question!

• 1 decade ago

They also had these signs in Florida when they were having a problem with the brush fires.

During the hot dry months of summer, brush fires will completely eliminate visibility on the road.

• 4 years ago

Oklahoma is Indian territory. You never know when hostile Chippewa are on the prowl. It s just good sense to NOT drive into smoke - it could be smoke signals from a war party.

• 1 decade ago

Probably just warning you that there is no visibility in smoke. Either due to wind or dust storms, I'm guessing.

• 1 decade ago

i don't know because i never been to oklahoma can it mean that it some danger or hurmful to you

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.