Dave asked in SportsBasketball · 1 decade ago

How much does it cost for companies like Nike, Adidas, and Reebok to make a "top of the line" basketball shoe?

Stephon Marbury came out with a $15.00 shoe--proving that it doesn't cost $100 or more to make a professional basketball shoe. I'm wondering how much of the $175.00 pricetag for a pair of Air Jordans (or LeBron's $150.00 zoom shoe) consists of materials cost.

Favorite Answer

from .88cents to roughly $3 tops per pair plus shipping and taxes=about $4-6 total, and their retail price range from 40-185

Source(s): we did a research in marketing class
  • Linda

I'd give my rating in terms of basketball shoes. In terms of comfort and design -- it's Nike/Jordan Brand. In terms of durability - I'd say adidas. In terms of value for money - I'd say Reebok. Converse, though they were the bomb during the era of Dr.J, Magic, and Bird (remember the Cons Weapon??), they somewhat did a 360 and lost some momentum. And1 is a good shoe but the designs are not that great. Starbury??? Don't even mention. I have to say though that the Nikes don't last that long. Overall, I'd still go for Nikes. When adidas got a lot of athletes to endorse them and the deal to be the official outfitter of the nba, they are now trying to creep up on Nike's turf. It might be a different story when we view this question from the perspective of another sport (say soccer or football). I have observed a lot of soccer players playing in the World Cup wear adidas and a lot of NFL players don Reeboks. So it may be a case-to-case basis among different sports.

Everyone also needs to understand that Nike sells directly to consumers as well as retailers so they need to keep their prices at the retail level. A good rule of thumb for a retail markup is 100% so if you are buying a pair of nikes for $100, then that means that the retailer bought them for about $50. So Nike is not necessarily making all of the profit from most people think they are. That is not to say that Nike is not a very wealthy company. They make their best profit margins when they sell online or through one of their own store locations.

According to the breakdown in the slide; materials takes up most of the cost with a staggering $10.75. Add in labor ($2.43), overhead ($2.10), and factory profit ($0.97) and you get an estimated production cost of $16.25. Thats a far cry from the $160-$170 price range most Air Jordans retail for now. Makes you think!

I would say about $17 --- All the rest is mark up -- How do you think NIKE can sign LeBron to a 100 million dollar contract !!!

Cost To Make A Shoe

ive heard that it only costs $3-5 for them to actually make the shoe, what we pay for is the brand name, the box, shipping and the marketing designed to get us to buy the shoe.

i like to buy fake jordan.

http://www.jordanwholesale.net/