Yahoo Answers is shutting down on May 4th, 2021 (Eastern Time) and the Yahoo Answers website is now in read-only mode. There will be no changes to other Yahoo properties or services, or your Yahoo account. You can find more information about the Yahoo Answers shutdown and how to download your data on this help page.

on the movie Castaway.....?

on the movie "Castaway" at the end of the movie Chuck goes to this house & leaves a box with a note saying "this package saved my life thank you" what was in that package? & how did it save his life?

7 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

You are never shown what's in the package--probably something that Bettina (the woman welder) made. The package washed ashore the island where he was stranded and he chose not to open it because of the wings that Bettina painted on the outside of it--it was her signature. I think the wings gave him inspiration to keep on living even though he knew that he would most likely never get off the island. When a big piece of plastic (possibly a wall to a porta potty) washes ashore, he uses it as a sail and paints the wings on it.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It was a steel sculpture the lady made. It saved his life because it "REQUIRED" him to get off the island to return to the sender. You notice the broken hangman's noose at the top of the mountain where he had to get the rope. That is where it saved his life. Jump or deliver the package. I guess he was a real FedEx guy. It gave him purpose to live.

• 1 decade ago

He never looked to find out what was in the box. The fact that he planned to complete the delivery of just one package from his doomed flight was what gave him the strength and perseverance to hang on and find a way home.

• 1 decade ago

he never opened the package, but there was a trade mark of the person who sent the package with the wings on it and it helped give him the idea of makeing his raft to get past the reef and waves that kept him back

• well we don't know what was in that package, but it saved his life because he wanted to deliver that package so it kept him alive.

Source(s): :D
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

It was a basketball or soccer ball. He had opened the one and used it, the ball was his friend, I think kept him sane. When he got back, he replaced the ball.

• 1 decade ago

i think that it was used more to sybolize somthing. Being that he should keep moving on for somthing he loves i guess. thats just what i think

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.