"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God and the Word was God." What this means ?

Christians use the above to justify Trinity. Now. all the original manuscripts of the NT were in Greek, before translated to English.

The Greek word for "and the Word was with God" was Hotheos which literally means "The God". The Greek word for "and the Word was God" was TONTHEOS, which means "a god".

The English language has a system to use a capital letter for a Proper Noun and a small letter for a Common Noun.

Look at how this system has been dishonestly reversed in the Bible :

Corinthians 4:4 "(and the devil) the god of this world". The Greek word for "the god" is HOTHEOS which should be spelt as God.

Exodus 7:1 "See, I have made thee a god to Pharoah".

Why was a small "g" for "God" used when referring to Moses instead of a capital "G" as what was used for a mere word, "Word"-"and the Word was God"?

Isn't such things done to deify Jesus and deceiving the people who think that every letter, comma and full stop and the capital and small letters were dictated by God ?

17 Answers

Relevance
  • wise
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Best Answer

Very good I must say to you- "wise one" what has happened and the Christians have not come to grips with is that the bible has been interpreted improperly the translators were not knowledgeable enough to so such a huge task properly and the one whom read it knew this but did nothing to correct the wrong done also there are many many books and transcripts left out that could shed much light on what is not known to the Christians so they could better understand the new testament & old!

when this is brung to light many get angered considering this to be bashing not enlighment. So you must be careful this subject as others concerning this is sensitive to them!

thank you for your wisdom and knowledge!

Now to answer your question it makes no sense at all like most of it! due to errors involved in the translation!

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

John says both that the word was with God and that the word was God. In one and the same breath, the word is distinguished from God and yet immediately identified as being God. How is that possible? I believe that the answer to this is the key to understanding other passages in scripture where a distinction is made.

First I would like to point out what John does not say. Notice that John does not say that, "In the beginning was the Son and the Son was with the Father and the Son was also God." Had John been a Trinitarian we would expect him to say something to this effect to be consistent with Trinitarian doctrine. To find a Trinity in his words we are forced to redefine the word "God" in the middle of a verse. John would be saying that the word was with God the Father but that the word was God the Son. But that is not what he said. The same God whom John identifies the word as being with is the one whom he states that the word is (the word was with God and the word was God).

Trinitarians claim that the distinction is justified because the second phrase contains the article before God (ton theon) but that the last phrase does not (theos). My first response would be: Why does the presence of the article demand that this is God the Father? Why not God the Holy Spirit? For some reason, when a Trinitarian reads "God" they first assume it is a reference to God the Father unless they have reason to believe otherwise. Somehow the Father is more "God" than the other two persons. Second, I would simply point out that almost every time the phrase "God the Father" or "God our Father" appears in Scripture, the article is lacking. This includes every one of Paul’s benedictions as well as several other verses (Rom. 1:7; 1 Cor. 1:3; 2 Cor 1:2; Gal. 1:1,3; Eph. 1:2; Eph. 6:23; Phil. 1:2; 2:11; Col. 1:2; 1 Thess. 1:1; 2 Thess. 1:1,2; 1 Tim. 1:2; 2 Tim. 1:2; Titus 1:4; Phm. 1:3; 1 Peter 1:2; 2 Peter 1:17; 2 John 1:3; Jude 1:1). So there is no justification to claim that the second theos in John 1:1 does not refer to God the Father simply because there is no article. Finally, John was a devout Jew who had no concept of persons in the Godhead. The only God he knew of was God the Father. Therefore, to identify the word as God was to identify him as the Father

• 1 decade ago

John's use of the word logos is important. The Greeks had developed a philosophy articulated by Plato and others that was built upon the assumption that the logos, the word, was the foundation of everything on earth. The earth Plato said, was simply a shadow of the reality of the logos that existed somewhere in the heavens. The Jews took the Greek concept of the logos one step further. Whereas Plato said behind everything there is a perfect thought (logos), the Jews said that behind the thought there must be a thinker. So John joins the discussion saying, "In the beginning was the Logos, the Word, God- not just a philosophy but a Personality. In the beginning was the Logos- the perfection and the thinker. The Hebrew word for God is Elohim, a word that speaks of three or more. The use of Elohim way back in Genesis hints at the mystery of the Trinity. Its use by John reiterates the reality of the trinity.

• Diana
    Lv 4
    4 years ago

Let's study John 1:1,14 who God is... `John 1:1 - In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. The same was in the beginning with God.` `In the beginning` -- timeless / the First / Alpha `the Word` -- the biblical scripture e.g. the Holy Bible `the Word was with God` -- the Holy Bible is the breath of God that giving life `the Word was God` -- the Holy Bible is the Word of God `the same` -- the Word of God; spoken through men `the same was in the beginning with God` -- deepest / the Last / Omega `John 1:14 -- And the Word became flesh and dwelt among us, and we beheld His glory, the glory as of the only begotten of the Father, full of grace and truth." The lesson teaches that His faithfulness, righteousness, and holiness, live forever and everlasting; He is eternal; He (God, the Father), the Almighty One.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Here is the interpretation of the Church of John 1,1.

[1-18] The prologue states the main themes of the gospel: life, light, truth, the world, testimony, and the preexistence of Jesus Christ, the incarnate Logos, who reveals God the Father. In origin, it was probably an early Christian hymn. Its closest parallel is in other christological hymns, Col 1:15-20 and Philippians 2:6-11. Its core (John 1:1-5, 10-11, 14) is poetic in structure, with short phrases linked by "staircase parallelism," in which the last word of one phrase becomes the first word of the next. Prose inserts (at least John 1:6-8, 15) deal with John the Baptist.

2 [1] In the beginning: also the first words of the Old Testament (Genesis 1:1). Was: this verb is used three times with different meanings in this verse: existence, relationship, and predication. The Word (Greek logos): this term combines God's dynamic, creative word (Genesis), personified preexistent Wisdom as the instrument of God's creative activity (Proverbs), and the ultimate intelligibility of reality (Hellenistic philosophy). With God: the Greek preposition here connotes communication with another. Was God: lack of a definite article with "God" in Greek signifies predication rather than identification.

Peace and every blessing!

Source(s): verse commentary from The New American Bible
  • Anonymous
    1 decade ago

That's true. The New World Translation of the Bible also renders it "... and the Word was a god."

Not only is this in keeping with the original Greek, but it is in harmony with what Jesus himself said his relationship to the Father is. He said, "The Father is greater than I am." He never claimed to be equal to God, his Father.

The pagan doctrine of a trinity was introduced into Christianity long after the death of Jesus, and is not in harmony with the rest of the Scriptures.

That is why Jehovah's Witnesses worship only Jehovah God, and not a pagan trinity.

• Anonymous
    1 decade ago

Please don't forget the vers which says 'and the Word was made flesh and dwelt among us'..now I believe that is Jesus being spoken about..therefore we have Father and Son ..yet both God so far.

Here is a verse that may confuse even more those who are opposed to tthe "trinity' or, as the bible puts it..the Godhead..and that is Isaiah 9:6..now there is a lot of titles for Jesus.

I also believe there is a text about the Godhead whoich said in which Jesus is the fullness of.

Here are some texts which mention Father son and Holy Spirit as being God....then of course we have the Godhead....(some people call it the trinity)

Verses saying Jesus is God: .........

Heb. 1:8

God the Father called the Son "God."

Isa. 9:6

The "child" is called the "Mighty God."

Mt. 1:23,

Is. 7:14

Jesus is called Immanuel, which means "God with us."

John. 1:1

Jesus (the "Word") is called "God."

1 Tim. 3:16

Paul said Jesus was God "manifested in the flesh."

Col. 2:8.9

Paul said Jesus was the "fullness of the Godhead bodily.

John. 20:28

Thomas said to Jesus, "…my God."

Titus 2:13

Paul called Jesus "the great God."

Phil. 2:5,6

Paul said Jesus didn’t feel it was wrong to be considered "equal with God."

John 5:18

The Jews wanted to kill Jesus because He was "making Himself equal with God."

John 10:30

Jesus said, "I and the Father are one."

Gen. 1:1;

Col. 1:16

The Bible said God created all things and that Jesus created all things.

Mic. 5:2

The messiah (Jesus) had always been in existence.

Isa. 44:6; Rev. 1:2,8, 11,13

God claimed to be the "First and the Last." So did Jesus. God clearly states that He is the only savior. The Bible also says Jesus is our savior.

Verses saying the Father is God:

John. 8:41 "The only Father we have is God Himself."

Eph. 4:6 " … one God and Father of all …"

Verses saying the Holy Spirit is God:

Acts 5:3,4 "… you have lied to the Holy Spirit … you have not lied to men, but to God."

Acts 28:25,26 Referring to Isaiah 6:9,10, Peter said the "Holy Spirit" spoke to the prophet Isaiah. In the book of Isaiah, it says the "Lord" spoke to the prophet Isaiah.

1 Cor. 3:16 "Don’t you know you are God’s temple and that God’s Spirit lives in you?"

Verses saying there is only one God:

Mk. 12:32 "You are right in saying God is one and there is no other but him."

Mk. 12:29 "The Lord our God, the Lord is one."

1 Tim. 2:5 "For there is one God …"

1 Cor. 8:4 " … and there is no God but one."

Gal. 3:20 " … but God is one."

James 2:19 "You believe there is one God. Good! …"

Ps. 86:10 " … you alone are God."

Deut. 6:4,5 "The Lord our God, the Lord is one …"

Isa. 44:8 "Is there another God besides me?"

Isa. 45:21 "There is no God apart from me … there is none but me."

Isa. 45:22 "For I am God and there is no other."

Isa. 46:9 "I am God, and there is no other"

Isa. 45:5 "I am the Lord, and there is no other; apart from me there is no God."

Isaiah 45:18 "I am the Lord, and there is no other."

Mal. 2:10 "Did not one God create us?"

(the Bible also says it was Jesus who created us)

Source(s): The Bible
  • ?
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago

This is a good example of language being a barrier for communication.

In the beginning was the tone?

In the beginning was a thought?

In the beginning was the energy?

The word could be as simple as "I" or "I am".

The concept of the beginning, in any language, is very difficult to express.

• 1 decade ago

your good in explanatory it show your emotion and good understanding as you said the different of capital and small letter is the name itself. In the beginning was the Word--that is the word of GOD when he created the heaven and earth and all in it, and the Word was with God because it is God who say that word and according to His word it is done accordingly to what He said, and the Word was God-- for he is the same yesterday today and forevermore.He is the who say and He do it for He is LORD OF LORD AND KINGS OF KINGS

Source(s): ISAIAH 52:15
  • 1 decade ago

Does this verse prove the trinity? How could it when 3 "persons" are not even mentioned? That shows how desperate trinitarians are to prove the unprovable.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.