The National Dean's List?

So, I am applying for college, and I start in August.

I got a paper from The National Dean's list saying that I've been nominated, and they want some information about me, school I am attending, GPA (I don't have one yet.. I haven't started college classes yet.), Extracurricular activities (I have tons), current place of employment, most inspiring teacher's name...etc.

What should I do? Is this a scam?

I don't know what I should do about the GPA, I think I might just make one up.. may as well.. I don't have one yet.

Also, they want all my information to review it, but they also want my picture for the book and money if I want the book - does that mean I'm already accepted into the book, and I have won the award?

• X
    Favorite Answer

This is a scam. There is nothing meaningful whatsoever about a "National Dean's List."

All they want is your money. They take money from any student that responds to them, and then they put the students info and pictures (which cost more) into a big book. Naive people buy into it, and buy the book.

Don't waste your time or money. It means nothing. And please don't put this "award" on any resumes or applications. People will think you are quite naive if you do.

While some say that having all of those honors really makes a difference- it doesnt. No one in the real job market really cares what you did in college, what clubs you were in or what honors you had. Having the degree in hand is most important factor in getting a job. For first time grads having a decent GPA on your resume wont hurt, but some companies (like google) that used to use that as a requirement dont anymore. It would be better to have a high GPA on your resume if you are competing against a lot of other new grads for the same job. But really, the same thing goes for college as it did for highschool- employers dont care about your "accomplishments" in school. I have heard that some prestigious jobs such as high powered law firms and "old-money" companies do look at your college life as a whole, I wouldnt be worried about it- if your getting into those jobs you probably know someone or are tied-in anyways.

This is for real. Someone nominated you for it. You can get your GPA. Ask a school counselor how to go about it. While you're in college and want to apply for scholarships, this achievement, along with your extracurricular activities, will help you get one. I got on the National Dean's list right after I left my junior college and transferred to the university. It helped me to get a $1,000 scholarship last summer.

i have received this-it is for real. no guarantess you win but it means a professor or if in high school a teacher, nominated you. I have also gotten this thing like from another company place about high school and when I was in college, college students that excel or whatever. they ask you to buy the book so taht you can see yourself in it, blah blah. I never bought it but it was nice to know I was being recognized anyways.

congrats!

it is a real award