How much does it cost to Paint a Car?

How much does it cost to paint a car a different color? If you have the paint sanded away and a fresh paint job, will it last as long as a factory paint job? What about painting over the original paint and changing the color... overspray? Does this look ok and will it last a few years?

Thanks

11 Answers

Relevance
  • Yesugi
    Lv 5
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

That's like asking "How much does a car cost?"

The better the preparation, the better the final result. Costs range all over the place, depending on the paint used and who paints it; as well as the degree of preparation (including disassembly) you do.

There is a place in Winter Haven FL, (Econo Car) that says, "Paint any car, $150." Across the street (at Arrington's), it'll cost you maybe $6000 for the same car. Depends on a lot of things. Really.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    4 years ago

Cost To Paint A Car

• 6 years ago

Painting a car requires it be sanded down to the metal. You could media blast it. It also has to be primed and masked, painted and clear coat. Most places charge around 70 to 100 bucks an hour for this effort so the real question is what kind of condition is the car in. If you need body work too, you're into thousands. I would say around 250 per panel as an average cost. A low end paint job doesn't count here where you just shoot over existing paint. That's 500-700 bucks and worthless. Decent starts around 2000 and goes up based on color, coats. clear coat. 5-10K is not unheard of for custom work. On average I'd say 3K.

• 4 years ago

Discover Spray Paint Art Secrets!

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 years ago

Tormenting over the first no it won't work, new auto paint is not going to bond over old auto paint. it will, yet not very long begin peeling like there's no tomorrow. a decent paintjob is, the body fit as a fiddle and primered, the gentleman painting comprehends what hes doing, knows how far to hold the paint weapon away to get even layers, and has the air/paint mixture simply right

• 1 decade ago

You get what you pay for. Used to be a paint shop chain in NYC (Earl Scheib) who would paint any car for $ 39.95; if you didn't mind the chrome, bumpers, headlights and windows painted, it was a good deal! However, since most people objected to the unicolor look, it actually didn't make much sense to invest in an Earl Scheib paint job. At the time (I'm talking 1960's), a "quality" paint job cost several hundred dollars; I'm sure that the cost now might very well run into the several thousand dollars range. If you want it done right, it's going to cost you big bucks!!

• 5 years ago

Earl Scheib will paint your car any car

• 6 years ago

About $500

• haifa z6 years agoReport

I AM NOT ASKING FOR THE PRICE OF THE CAR

• 1 decade ago

paining over the original no it will not work, new car paint is not going to bond over old car paint. it will, but not too long start peeling like crazy. best thing to do is have it sanded down, primered good and done right. a good paintjob is, the body in good shape and primered, the guy painting knows what hes doing, knows how far to hold the paint gun away to get even coats, and has the air/paint mixture just right.

• 7 years ago

how much it cost to just paint no repart no anything just paint

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.