Miscarrige?

2 questions. How does a miscarrige occus, like naturally? or does something make it happen?

Waht are the symptoms of a mis carrige

Best Answer

Spontaneous abortion (SAB), or miscarriage, is the term used for a pregnancy that ends on it's own, within the first 20 weeks of gestation. Often the medical name spontaneous abortion (SAB) gives many women a negative feeling, so throughout this information we will refer to any type of spontaneous abortion or pregnancy loss under 20 weeks as miscarriage.

Miscarriage is the most common type of pregnancy loss, according to the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG). Studies reveal that anywhere from 10-25% of all clinically recognized pregnancies will end in miscarriage. Estimations of chemical pregnancies or unrecognized pregnancies that are lost can be as high as 50-75%, but many of these are unknown since they often happen before a woman has missed a period or is aware she is pregnant.

Most miscarriages occur during the first 13 weeks of pregnancy. Pregnancy can be such an exciting time, but with the great number of recognized miscarriages that occur, it is beneficial to be informed on miscarriage, in the unfortunate event that you find yourself or someone you know faced with one.

There can be many confusing terms and moments that accompany a miscarriage. There are different types of miscarriage, different treatments for each, and different statistics for what your chances are of having one. The following information gives a broad overview of some of the confusing parts of miscarriage. This information is to help equip you with knowledge so that you might not feel so alone or lost if you face a possible miscarriage situation. As with most complications with pregnancy, remember that the best person you can usually talk with and ask questions of is your health care provider.

Why do miscarriages occur?

The reason for miscarriage is varied, and most often the cause cannot be identified. During the first trimester, the most common cause of miscarriage is chromosomal abnormality - meaning that something is not correct with the baby's chromosomes. Most chromosomal abnormalities are the cause of a faulty egg or sperm cell or are due to a problem at the time that the zygote went through the division process. Other causes for miscarriage include (but are not limited to):

* Hormonal problems, infections or health problems in the mother

* Lifestyle (i.e. smoking, drug use, malnutrition, excessive caffeine and exposure to radiation or toxic substances)

* Implantation of the egg into the uterine lining does not occur properly

* Maternal age

* Maternal trauma

Factors that are not proven to cause miscarriage are sex, working outside the home (unless in a harmful environment) or moderate exercise.

What are the chances of having a Miscarriage?

For women in childbearing years, the chances of having a miscarriage can range from 10-25%, and in most healthy women the average is about a 15-20% chance.

* An increase in maternal age changes the chances of miscarriage

* Women under the age of 35 yrs old have about a 15% chance of miscarriage

* Women who are 35-45 yrs old have a 20-35% chance of miscarriage

* Women over the age of 45 can have up to a 50% chance of miscarriage

* A woman who has had a previous miscarriage has a 25% chance of having another (only a slightly elevated risk than for someone who has not had a previous miscarriage)

What are the Warning signs of Miscarriage:

If you experience any or all of these symptoms, it is important to contact your doctor or a medical facility to evaluate if you could be having a miscarriage:

* Mild to severe back pain (often worse than normal menstrual cramps)

* Weight loss

* White-pink mucus

* True contractions (very painful happening every 5-20 minutes)

* Brown or bright red bleeding with or without cramps (20-30% of all pregnancies can experience some bleeding in early pregnancy, with about 50% of those resulting in normal pregnancies)

* Tissue with clot like material passing from the vagina

* Sudden decrease in signs of pregnancy

The different types of Miscarriage:

Miscarriage is often a process and not a single event. There are many different stages or types of miscarriage. There is also a lot of information to learn about healthy fetal development so that you might get a better idea of what is going on with your pregnancy. Understanding early fetal development and first trimester development can aid you in knowing what things your health care provider is looking for when there is concern of a miscarriage occurring.

Most of the time all types of miscarriage are just called Miscarriage, but you may hear your health care provider refer to other terms or names of miscarriage such as:

Threatened Miscarriage: Some degree of early pregnancy uterine bleeding accompanied by cramping or lower backache. The cervix remains closed. This bleeding is often the result of implantation.

Inevitable or Incomplete Miscarriage: Abdominal or back pain accompanied by bleeding with an open cervix. Miscarriage is inevitable when there is a dilation or effacement of the cervix and/or there is rupture of the membranes. Bleeding and cramps may persist if the miscarriage is not complete.

Complete Miscarriage: A completed miscarriage is when the embryo or products of conception have emptied out of the uterus. Bleeding should subside quickly, as should any pain or cramping. A completed miscarriage can be confirmed by an ultrasound or by having a surgical curettage performed.

Missed Miscarriage: Women can experience a miscarriage without knowing it. A missed miscarriage is when embryonic death has occurred but there is not any expulsion of the uterus. It is not known why this occurs. Signs of this would be a loss of pregnancy symptoms and the absence of fetal heart tones found on an ultrasound.

Recurrent Miscarriage (RM): Defined as 3 or more consecutive first trimester miscarriages. This can affect 1% of couples trying to conceive.

Blighted Ovum: Also called an anembryonic pregnancy. A fertilized egg implants into the uterine wall, but fetal development never begins. Often there is a gestational sac with or without a yolk sac, but there is an absence of fetal growth.

Ectopic Pregnancy: A fertilized egg implants itself in places other than the uterus, most commonly the fallopian tube. Treatment is needed immediately to stop the development of the implanted egg. If not treated rapidly, this could end in serious maternal complications.

Molar Pregnancy: The result of a genetic error during the fertilization process that leads to growth of abnormal tissue within the uterus. Molar pregnancies rarely involve a developing embryo, but often entail the most common symptoms of pregnancy including a missed period, positive pregnancy test and severe nausea.

Treatment of Miscarriage:

The main goal of treatment during or after a miscarriage is to prevent hemorrhaging and/or infection. The earlier you are in the pregnancy, the more likely that your body will expel all the fetal tissue by itself and will not require further medical procedures. If the body does not expel all the tissue, the most common procedure performed to stop bleeding and prevent infection is a dilation and curettage, known as a D&C. Drugs may be prescribed to help control bleeding after the D&C is performed. Bleeding should be monitored closely once you are at home; if you notice an increase in bleeding or the onset of chills or fever, it is best to call your physician immediately.

Prevention of Miscarriage:

Since the cause of most miscarriages is due to chromosomal abnormalities, there is not much that can be done to prevent them. One vital step is to get as healthy as you can before conceiving to provide a healthy atmosphere for conception to occur.

* Exercise regularly

* Eat healthy

* Manage stress

* Keep weight in healthy limits

* Take folic acid daily

* Do not smoke

Once you find out that you are pregnant, again the goal is to be as healthy as possible, to provide a healthy environment for your baby to grow in:

* Keep your abdomen safe

* Do not smoke or be around smoke

* Do not drink alcohol

* Check with your doctor before taking any over-the-counter medications

* Limit or eliminate caffeine

* Avoid environmental hazards such as radiation, infectious disease and x-rays

* Avoid contact sports or activities that have risk of injury

Emotional Treatment:

Unfortunately, miscarriage is not prejudiced as to who it touches. It can affect any couple or family. Often women are left with unanswered questions regarding their physical recovery, their emotional recovery and trying to conceive again. It is very important that women try to keep the lines of communication open with family, friends and health care providers during this time.

Some helpful websites that deal with miscarriage and pregnancy loss include:

* www.nationalshareoffice.com

* www.mend.org

* www.aplacetoremember.com

* www.madisonfoundation.org

I can't really compete with the cut and paster above, but miscarriages are basically the death and partial or full expulsion of the fetus. They usually happen because of a genetic abnormality. Occasionally, severe abdominal trauma can bring on a miscarraige.

Women can also miscarry if the embryo has implanted in the wrong location (ectopic pregnancy). Ectopic pregnancies need immediate medical attention because they can be life threatening for the mother. Ectopic pregnancies can occur for many reasons including a blocked fillopian tube or scar tissue.

The symptoms of a miscarriage are heavy bleeding, abdominal pain and fever.

Some people have to have a d&c to have the tissue of the fetus removed because it isn't expelled naturally after death. Any remaining tissue can cause infections which can lead to infertility and death.

The body recognizes bad egg and gets rid of it, that is all. Although it is really sad, you have to think of it this way - Mother nature knows, what is the best for us and one or two miscarriages don't mean you can't have a healthy baby later. If you were having miscarriage, you would definitelly know something is wrong - heavy bleeding, abdominal pain are the main signs. Every fifth pregnancy ends up as a miscarriage, (some studies even say that 80% of all pregnancies are miscarried before women even knows she is pregnant - before she is supposed to get her period). I don't know if you are pregnant, but if so - don't stress about it. I did when expecting my son and I didn't enjoy my pregnancy at all as I was always expected something bad to happen. But he is now 2 months old, healthy and beautiful.

Miscarriages can happen for a number of reason. When I suffered a miscarriage back on 2006, I asked the Doctor was it something that I did to cause it? She said that about all the women who suffer one tend to blame themselves. She said that it occurs because of problems with cell division and when it is not dividing right the body expells it, known as miscarriage. Sometimes trama can cause it and if women is doing unhealthy things to her body. They say the first trimester (the first three months of pregnancy) is the most crucial time for the baby. You need to take extra care. There are many Website you can search for under miscarriages. Hope I help just a little.

My friend just had a miscarriage two weeks ago. She knew she was at least four weeks pregnant and was probably six weeks. She became really sad and depressed feeling at first and then a few days later she began spotting. The spotting lasted for two days and then she began bleeding heavy and clumpy. The sad and depressed feelings are a form of postpartum depression. Because the hormone levels had begun to rise and suddenly were dropping again. You can research this Im sure and it will tell you that you can experience postpartum after a miscarriage. Also the heavy bleeding will feel just like your normal cycle bleeding just more painful and heavy usually.

A miscarriage in the first trimester typically means that there was already something wrong with the baby, that you couldn't do anything to prevent. They say it is accompanied with a lot of bleeding and painful cramping. I had a miscarriage with spotting and no cramping. Everyone's bodies can have a different reaction. My doctor didnt' take my spotting seriously, so I eventually went to an ER to put my mind at ease even though I wasn't in pain. I was glad I got to find out early instead of agonizing for weeks. It seems my situation wasn't the average.

there are many different causes of miscarriage. Some women are just not able to carry a child for different reasons... miscarriages can also be caused by extreme stress, both in mind and body... it can be caused by abuse... there are lots of things that can cause it.

As far as the symptoms, when i had mine i just had some severe cramp like pain and then a couple of hours later the baby came out... i was only like six weeks pregnant... i dont know very much about other symptoms...

well i just went through this a few months ago, something can make it happen like falls, or stress, medications, to much hard exercise like if you never worked out before hand and pushed your limits farther that you should have, but it also can happen for no reason, in my case I never had any of the above, cant figure out why, some symptoms include cramping like period cramps, blood bright red, if you see something in the toilet when you pee, you could have passed the fetus, I have even heard that some get one of the symptoms some get all. hope this helps

Source(s): mom of one boy almost three years of age

it depends, but as of my case i had an abortion last year,and there is actually complications still affected to my womb,i had a second pregnancy i was 12 weeks pregnant,but during the 12 weeks pregnancy i had some brown discharge and i couldnt stands for more then 5 mins i will get dizziness and faints very quickly.had no choice i went to my hospital and the doc told me that my fetus was dead,and the doc told me it was my earlier abortion had cost to lose a babies life ,and that's the complications i was saying