Caitlin asked in HealthDiet & Fitness · 1 decade ago

How should I train for cross country running and loose weight??

I am overweight and want to start cross country in fall (end of august/ begining of sept. so 4-5 months) I can't run for more than 300-600 feet at a time and need to build up to the 3 mile (5K). I need training tips and weight-loss/ fat loss tips. Any help is appriciated!!!!

Dani, I know you answered my other question. I was trying to get a variety of answers.

• Favorite Answer

The best thing would be to start jogging now. Start at a managable pace and go for as long as you can. You just have to build up to it. When I started running I could only do a mile, after a while of doing that and gradually adding more distance, I got up to 4 miles. As far as weightloss - cardio is the best way, so stick to the running. Try a stationary bike if you can't get outside much, but cycling on a stationary and running are completely different, so you definitely want to train with running.

Swimming and the treadmill are really good training devices. First go to the gym and learn how to use a treadmill, then start off slow at a low pace, and small incline. bring comfortable clothing, water and some really jammin' toons! Go early in the morning, or late at night, and you'll have less competitors for the machines, and you won't feel self-conscious, like everyone is watching you! Alternate every other day with swimming, doing as many laps as you can. even if you're not the greatest swimmer, do a frog paddle using arms and legs, grabbing a small surf board helps stretch out your stomach muscles, hold the board out as far away from your body as you can, and kick like crazy! eat alot of green veggies! and healthy salads. cut back on the pop! try to drink only water and lots of it! don't starve, eat a good breakfast, salad for lunch, hardly anything for dinner, because that's when the body stores calories, when you sleep! good luck!

Source(s): I'm a fitness instructor

I've noticed the fastest way to lose weight (and is still healthy) is to cut out all solid foods for as long as you can. If you can stick to drinks for hydration, protein enriched smoothies (and shakes etc...) and then blend up some chunky soups; you'll lose weight faster than you can say diet. Trust me I do it all the time it's perfectly healthy its just hard to resist some of the solids food you might come across on this particular diet. If you can do that than you can loose 20 pounds your first month easy! Oh but don't go overboard with milkshakes and sodas the object is to burn your body's natural carbs (fat) not the carbs you get from sugar. Oh and salads are ok too. Just not too much dressing. Start off with just one week and go from there. This diets full proof!

• when u first start u wont be "running"....try jogging 800 meters(200 meters further than ur "maximum" and gradually move up on length and speed) theres a difference in running and jogging and sprinting.....if u jog i m sure u can make it more than 300/600 feet! cc rocks!

Source(s): a present succeful cc runner(i answered ur other question too)

trie doing sit-ups and graduliy increase your running every 4-6 days and after each workout eat one of them 100 carlie sneaks

burn more calories than you consume to lose weight. You should gradually run a little more each time you run.