Is there anyway to avoid paying my 1000 dollar deductible on my Car Insurance?

I recently changed my deductible to 1000 dollars on my car insurance, and sure enough, got some dents on the front of my car sliding into a tree during bad road conditions. Is there ANY way possible, through the auto body garage, insurance or a third party to get out of paying the full 1000 dollar deductible?

Favorite Answer

If you go thru your insurance, no way out of it. If you go thru 3rd party insurance your deductible doesn't apply.

Sure. Find a body shop that will waive part of your deductible. It will probably be difficult to find one to waive your ENTIRE deductible unless the repair costs are in the five-figure range. There are a lot of body shops out there competing for business, and some of them will gladly eat a $500.00 deductible in order to get a juicy repair. Others will let customers pay off deductibles over time. There is absolutely nothing illegal about such arrangements. As far as the insurance goes, they are simply going to pay the cost of repair, minus $1,000.00.

Source(s): Austin Paint & Body Collision Center - Garland, TX

haha .. let me get this straight.. YOU.. changed your deductible... KNOWING that is what you would have to pay if this happened.. and now YOU want to get out of it? Very responsible.

Unless you can find a cheap ma and pa body shop who will take less than the insurance estimate and fix your car back to preloss condition. your screwed. And if a shop does take an amount less than your deductible it probably means they are a crappy shop who will do bad repairs anyways.

I hope you learned a lesson about taking responsibility for your choices.

Must be some really big dents if they are over $1,000 to fix. No. When you changed things to a higher deductible to save money, you essentially said "I'll pay the first grand on anything"

Do it.

Sure, don't have the repairs done. Or do them yourself - labor should be at least $1,000.

If someone "hides" the deductible by increasing repair costs, that's called "burying the deductible", and it's illegal. So you're not going to have someone do that, if they want to stay in business.

Source(s): agent, 21+ years

Find a place that will charge less than $1000 to fix it.

Only if you find a repairer stupid enough to not collect your deductible.

• PRS

Well, no. This is not necessarily legal but if you can get the body shop to work with you you might get them to pad their bill some but $1000.00 is alot of padding.