Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Entertainment & MusicPolls & Surveys · 1 decade ago

Do you feel girls should be allowed to take shop class (industrial arts) in school?

I think it is a bad idea because in shop class you design things and draw out diagrams, read blue prints, operate dangerous band saws and other machines, work with wood and metal, and now even use CAD programs on the computer. This is clearly a class that is not made for women. When I took industrial arts we had two girls in the class. I think they just took it to meet guys b/c they certainly weren't any good. The teacher went easy on them because they are female and had a lower standard for them to meet. They mostly just were a distraction to the guys - both by their looks and by their helpless woman routine which caused the guys to do all their projects for them. It just isn't a class that most women would be interested in and the women that would be need to be "reprogrammed" to be more interested in taking home economics. Not many men like butch women who can saw boards and build CO2 cars. I just don't think they should be given the option to take it.

• Ivan S
    Favorite Answer

Girls should be allowed!

My, you must be an older person, from the "old school". I do agree with you that most women would not enjoy shop, and may not be good at it. I'm one of those. But I'm sure that there are a good number of other women who could be as good or better than the guys in their class. I envy them. And I certainly believe that they should have the opportunity to take shop. I also believe that young men should have the opportunity to take home economics. Many men enjoy cooking, and "making deluxe" sandwiches. Incidentally, I was never good at that either. You state that many men do not like women who can saw boards and build CO2 cars. Right there you are agreeing that there are women who can do that. So you're contradicting yourself. And are you saying that women should not live up to their potential because men will not like it? You sound like my mother (and I'm in my 70's). She used to tell me to not do so well in school, because boys would not like it. I'm glad I didn't listen to her. What a waste my life would have been. And I had no trouble finding a husband. But I did think those days and type of thinking were over. If any change should be made, it would be to teach teachers not to treat the women differently than the men. If a woman or a man can not do the work, they should be graded accordingly. I sure hope that you are not married. If so, please have your wife (or girlfriend) write a comment.

Are you serious?

Yes, maybe some girls DO take those kinds of classes to meet guys. So what? What about the other girls that are actually interested in the subject? Many, many girls and women exist who are talented with those sorts of things. Not every woman just wants to be another pretty face, a school teacher, a house wife, etc. OF COURSE girls should be given the option to take the class! I can't even believe that you are serious about that. Do you remember studying about the Women's Movement in school? Wake up - we've been liberated. Another thing - if the boys can't deal with the "distractions", maybe THEY shouldn't be taking the class! Hmm?

1) You are SEXIST

2) I took tech essensials (a wood shop/computer class) it was EASY! I got an A. Not because the teacher felt sorry for girls cuz truthfully he graded the guys easier than the girls. but because I worked my *** of.

3)I was supposed to take wood shop this year but there wasn't room. I have so many friends that are guys trust me I fit right in. I love working with my hands. Mechanics, I can do it is fun! Putting in Carpet... that was really fun and I used a f***ing saw to cut the wood too.

4) I do alot of other things too, like drafting. that is fun as hell. I love looking at things using my mind to put things together and designing things, well houses... see if I was to design clothes I would go crazy cuz that is one thing I CAN'T STAND!

5)Go to Hell

• You are an idiot. I can read, use a CAD program to draw blue prints as well as any man. Are you in 7th grade because you are too immature to be taking shop class if you think this way?

• *

Women can do most things men can. I don't believe we're 100% equal, because we aren't... men are generally stronger than women, making them much more able to do certain things.... BUT... when I was in school, I took shop class. I passed it with flying colors, and with not a single scratch or booboo on me.

And I'm a girl if you can't tell...

Why not.

I once worked with a female welder, she was as good as any guy.

Maybe not as strong, but just as skilled.

there is nothing wrong with taking a shop class.

As a matter of fact, I wish more would.

remember the term "equal opportunity"

One of the designers that works for me is female.

If i am promoted, I would consider her for my replacement.

In other words, dont be so harsh towards them

My little sister is in middle school and they have to take metals, electronics, tech, woods, sewing and cooking. Girl or boy they have to take all 5 and I think that it's disgusting.

You're right sweetheart, we could get easily hurt with those saws and we don't need "industrial arts" anyway, Home Ec. is really the only class we should be taking.

How else would we be good housewives?

XOXO

• Oh p*ss off - this isn't the 1950's anymore you know! Where did you learn that tired old line?

Do women scare you...is that it? Try having a bit of respect for a change.

Dam it, men can be so ridiculous sometimes....

I took shop in High School and got all A's.