Should I stop paying my health insurance?

I pay my own health insurance under Blue Cross Blue Shield of SC. I pay $200 a month (down from $300) and I just found out that i won't be able to go to my psychiatric doctor and be covered under this insurance at the same time. I have decided to do away with my medicines simply because i just don't want to take them any more. I have no other major or urgent reasons to keep paying the monthy bill so I can't think of any reason that i need to do so.

let me also add again i am paying my own insurance. This would not be a problem if i was working a job that paid my insurance for me. But I work at a grocery store that does not pay benefits and until i get a job that does pay benefits I am paying my own insurance and because i do not make enough as it is, that is why i am thinking of doing away with this current insurance.

• TJTB
    Best Answer

It's always a good idea to keep your insurance if at all possible. Life throws us curve balls and better we have insurance and not use it, than need it and not have it.

If you maintain your health well on your own then you might not need it as much. You're going to take it in the shorts no matter what happen with your coverage. If you get hit with a stay in the hospital then you will be paying about that much or more per month either way. If you could I would keep this coverage as backup plan and start putting (matching funds) money into some sort of personal medical trust. You could use it to buy gold/silver and then cash that in if you even need major medical money. Keep this in mind you've paid only 4260 into this current insurance and unless you're sure that you'll never need it you should not drop it. You might be better off paying another 142 a month into a load bearing account and keep that on hand to help cover anything the insurance doesn't and if you never use the insurance you can use that to that to fund your retirement vacation if you so choose. Either way you do it, it's legal gambling. You gamble that you're going to get sick and they gamble you won't. So you can either bet for your self or bet against yourself. Sorry but I won't advise one way or the other but I will try expose the facts that might help you on your own.

• Just Q

I suspect that you won't be able to go to your psychaitrist under this plan because that Dr does not accept BC/BS. . . find another Dr who does take this insurance.

If this Dr has you on meds I suspect that they are meds that you need for your mental well being so to not be under a Dr's care and not taking your meds is NOT in your best interest.

I also suspect that you are seeing this Dr under a Free Program and that Free Program will no longer be Free if you are covered by BC/BS.

To think you can't see this Dr under this plan if this is the case is not true.

No Dr will turn down the possibility of getting money for their services. . . the insurance would probably pay more than the "Free Program" pays him.

Now another reason BC/BS might not pay is if your conditon was deemed as a pre-exsisting condition. . .which sucks!

Either way,don't give up the insurance especially if you are getting it for $200.00 a month. . . this is a real reasonable price and you might not find another insurace as reasonable.

Keep looking for a job that has insurance benefits because I think you need to keep seeing your Dr and taking your meds.

Source(s): 30+yrs in the medical profession of which some of that time was spent being an insurance billing clerk.
  • Big mistake. Insurance is definitely a rip off but Obviously you never had to pay a medical bill. If you think your insurance is too expensive (and I know it is) wait, a medical bill can set you back many thousands of dollars. Even for a simple procedure.

Added: Change jobs, or tell them you need a full time position so you can get insurance. My daughter works at a grocery store and is in the same situation.

Source(s): Experience

Its good that you have the good sense to keep healthcare for emergency situations. But if you are looking to save money and improve your coverage you should check into a medical savings card like Linx2Health.

http://5linx.findaprovider.com/?rep_id=L265458&rep...

This discount medical savings card is not INSURANCE.

You can't beat getting 20-60% on prescriptions, vision care, dental IN ADDITION to your current healthcare coverage!

You can cover your entire family for $19.95 a month or just cover yourself (up to 3 cards at no extra charge!)

Linx2Health Medical Savings card can help you bridge the gap of rising heatlhcare costs and you don't have to worry about losing it because you change jobs! Your discount is in place for as long as you wish to keep the card!

If you are taking care of your children and your parents this is an excellent extra savings for elderly and child health care needs as well.

There are higher levels of coverage that offer more value, including a 4 tier drug card. Check it out at:

If you can't reach the link above try:

www.5linx.net/lisaandthomas (and look under products for Linx2Health)

• I don't think anyone should go without medical coverage, but perhaps a discount medical plan would be better for you.

AmeriPlan is a company that offers discount medical plans starting at $11.95 per month (the most expensive is $59.95 per month for an entire family). You may want to consider this because mental health costs are included in the plan, as are prescriptions for your meds.

I would love to help you with this! E-mail me (Charlotte) with any questions at c.krizman@sbcglobal.net. Also, visit the link below for more information. It's worth looking at--and there's a 30 day money-back guarantee in case you decide it's not for you!

Hope this helps!

No, as soon as people cancel their insurance something major happens. You might want to look at getting a cheaper policy. You may want to try a website that compares multiple companies at once to get you the best price. I am paying less than ½ after I did.

Go to: http://www.insureme.com/landing.aspx?Refby=616163&...

Take care,

Casey

Consult the Psych Doctor first do to the Meds.

Insurance is HIGH, yes

But think of this.

How costley is hospitols & surgrys,

If you can afford the internet, LOL you can do with out Luzzerys Even if to catch up.

My friend had to do with out internet for 3 months to pay rent & catch up. its hard *** with out insurance, your up a **** creek. & Thats all ill say, good luck hon.

I can help.

You're paying quite a bit for not getting what you want...

This plan includes mental health and much more.

Go to my site, http://www.everyonebenefits.com/cole

and e-mail me if you'd like more information. I think I can help you out. georgilesc@yahoo.com