Matt asked in PetsDogs · 1 decade ago

What type of dog is best for what I want?

I am looking for a dog I can take out into the hills with me on long walks with overnight stops in tents/bothies. I'd love a collie but they possibly require to much and can be very unforgiving of any training errors. I want to spend time training whichever breed I get to a decent level so it needs to be intelligent. Medium size and naturally friendly and loyal. So in summary: fit, intelligent, loyal and friendly, any ideas?

• Beano
    Favorite Answer

German Shorthaired Pointer- Active breed, Short hair, Built for outdoor activity, trainable, loyal, what more would you want!?

Doberman Pinscher. Highly trainable, forever loyal, friendly, and very athletic with stamina to go longer than you ever could, medium sized(if you buy a standard sized, unethical breeders breed them big) and not much in the way of grooming required. They only need ~4 baths a year and an occasional brush.

Labrador retriever. I have two labs and we take them hiking, swimming, and running all the time! They love it! Our labs can RUN for about two miles before they need a break-and a great break is a swim!

Labs are extremely loyal, and will hang out with you while hiking. I would suggest getting a female, however, because we have both, and the male is MUCH too hyper and harder to train. But when he got older, he was awesome.

Either way, male or female labs, they are excellent dogs for the task you want to accomplish. When hiking, and seeing other hikers along the way, your lab would great them in a happy way.

Good luck!

Source(s): Lab owner

May I recommend a beagle. I have found them to be very intelligent, loyal, and friendly. This is not a breed I would get for protection though. Since you didn't mention protection...

Beagles are a great mid-size dog. They do need training, but they make great pets.

I would have to say either a lab or a golden retriever!!! But on the other hand ... Border Collies like to run and they are also VERY LOYAL.

I think a Miniature Schnauzer would be a good breed for you, they love alot of active things, they are very, very intelligent, good watch dogs, can be very barky tho, but training curbs that. they are friendly and extremely loyal, and the best thing of all, THEY DO NOT SHED, A collie would fill your tent with hair, of course they might be a little small for your needs, a standard schnauzer, the next size up would be better.

You have made the right step as to looking into different kinds of dogs and doing your homework..

Have you thought of a Bernese Mountain dog? I don't know too much about them except that I have friends with two of them and they take them camping and hiking with them all the time..

I have included a website with some information for you.. Not to mention, they are beautiful dogs!

• Collie

What you are describing is, in fact, A Border Collie!

i recommend a lab. I have 1 myself and they are extremely loyal. my lab loves to be around people and loves to go on walks.

you might be better with cairn terrier, they excelent dogs for hills

and very user friendly

i hope this helps

atb