Would it be worth my while to sell my baseball card collection?

I have not yet decided whether this is a good idea, so maybe some further information might help. I have a fairly large baseball card collection, most of which was acquired during the 1980s and '90s. The bulk of it is Griffey, Frank Thomas, Chipper Jones and whomever else were the stars of the day. There are some older cards, as well as some newer inserts and autographs. According to the price guides, my collection is worth several thousand dollars. Could I expect to actually sell the collection for that amount? And if so, what would be the best, easiest and most lucrative means?

Favorite Answer

The best way to go about it is to sell one card at a time instead of selling it all in one shot. Selling it all at once is quicker but you won't make as much money on it, but if you sell them one at a time it will take longer but you'll get more cash. I don't recommend selling to baseball cards shops because you will only get 25-30% of what it books for. I sell a lot on eBay so that might be the way to go. good luck

You will get what someone is willing to pay for them. Bottom line. The price book is a guide only. People do not have to pay what the guide says. You get nothing close to book value. And if the superstars are not graded, it isn't worth the trouble and fees to sell on ebay. Next garage sale, see what people offer. '80's and '90's cards were overproduced.

Probably not, baseball cards have depreciated a lot in the past ten years. You might want to check the date of the price guides you're looking at. If they're current and you need money go ahead and sell them. E-Bay would be a good bet. Just make sure you put a reserve price on them so you don't end giving them away. Otherwise, I'd hold on to them for your kids or somethin'.

Ebay? come on!

If you live in a large city go to a local card show. And if you got some good cards theyll buy them right off of you. I never sold them there but I buy a lot of football cards when i go to card shows here in Vegas, and I see a lot of people walking around the sellers with bags showing them stuff. Or if that doesnt work try ebay.

Check out www.collectorscentral.com... - the free online sports card & collectibles price guide and community

This site takes closed auction prices, sale values from ecommerce/dealer sites, and opinions from collectors to calculate the prices real time.

Not really. I gave my basketball collection up a long time ago and I really regreted it. I had a buncha good cards, too! If you have any doubts at all about it then that should be a sign that it's probably not a good idea. I would save em for my kids.

well, if you really cherish these cards, i suggest you keep them. but if you want to sell them for money, i think you should wait for a while more to see if the price would go up. Sell on ebay

• Of course its worth it. You can get some big money for those, so put them up on eBay and watch the money come in.

You can sell it on Ebay. That way, collectors would be able to bid for it.