In the Harry Potter films, what's with the overkill...?

...of every big-name thespian in Britain? It's not as if most of those names mean anything to the youngster Harry Potter fans. So isn't it a bit over-indulgent for the grown-ups? I suppose it's to boost the ratings, but there must be a movie protocol that limits the 'stars' in one film - or... show more ...of every big-name thespian in Britain?

It's not as if most of those names mean anything to the youngster Harry Potter fans. So isn't it a bit over-indulgent for the grown-ups?
I suppose it's to boost the ratings, but there must be a movie protocol that limits the 'stars' in one film - or on account of health & safety, i.e. too many competing egos?
Update: I should ignore 'LiveNow' shouting at me, but since he/she asks, three or four Names are usually sufficient. I really did lose count as the credits went up in the last one I saw; I am interested in others' opinions of why they do it when it doesn't work. Anyone could say well it's simply a case... show more I should ignore 'LiveNow' shouting at me, but since he/she asks, three or four Names are usually sufficient.
I really did lose count as the credits went up in the last one I saw; I am interested in others' opinions of why they do it when it doesn't work. Anyone could say well it's simply a case of investment and profits, but rarely is filmmaking approached in this way.
Update 2: I had to look it up on Wikipedia to see if I was over-reacting. What do you think Eric Sykes Timothy Spall Robert Hardy Robbie Coltrane Frances De La Tour Maggie Smith Alan Rickman Miranda Richardson Ralph Fiennes Richard Harris Michael Gambon Zoe Wanamaker Kenneth Branagh Emma Thompson Imelda... show more I had to look it up on Wikipedia to see if I was over-reacting. What do you think
Eric Sykes
Timothy Spall
Robert Hardy
Robbie Coltrane
Frances De La Tour
Maggie Smith
Alan Rickman
Miranda Richardson
Ralph Fiennes
Richard Harris
Michael Gambon
Zoe Wanamaker
Kenneth Branagh
Emma Thompson
Imelda Staunton
Dawn French
John Cleese
Leslie Phillips
Helena Bonham Carter
Gary Oldman
Davis Thewlis
Julie Walters
Pam Ferris
Richard Griffiths
John Hurt
Julie Christie
Lenny Henry
David Tenant
Update 3: I think it's silly. It doesn't do anything for the films, it's turns it into parody. Some of the best performances are the ones that are making their name through the series, like some of the child actors (because there aren't many new adult faces getting a look in). Some of the big names add weight... show more I think it's silly. It doesn't do anything for the films, it's turns it into parody. Some of the best performances are the ones that are making their name through the series, like some of the child actors (because there aren't many new adult faces getting a look in). Some of the big names add weight to the film, but some of them are just over-acting which just adds to the overkill.