Snuggly asked in SportsRunning · 1 decade ago

Are Ankle Weights Safe While Running?

I'm wondering if using 3 lb ankle weights once a week while running 3 miles is safe? My goal is to build strength and speed, but I don't want to cause any future harm.

• moglie
    Favorite Answer

DO NOT run with ankle weights or anything weighted apparatus strapped to your ankles. 1st of all it will change your stride pattern put added stress on shin/ankles/achilles and especially your knees. You pound these areas enough in normal running it's gonna be bad enough when you get older why would you add more stress and pounding to the mix? If you want to gain power and speed, you do weights, hill running for power, overspeed & downhill running for speed, if you want to use ankle weights for anything it would be to do leg extensions sitting on a bench with ankle weights on and extend/straighten your leg in front of you pulling your toe towards the ceiling

Source(s): ex olympian hurdler, high school track & field coach

Running With Ankle Weights

Best Ankle Weights

• Sam

I can understand why some people want to use ankle weights for running. After all, you may think that you are getting greater resistance and more of a workout in a shorter period of time. However, what many people do not consider is that such products often result in acute injuries, as well as chronic overuse injuries such as tendonitis.

But don't take my word for it. Look at any professional runner. No one is wearing them. In fact, most (if not all) professional fitness associations consider them as dangerous and unnecessary. The only people using them for aerobic exercises are amateurs who sadly don't know any better.

So why are they even on the market if they are so bad? Ankle and wrist weights can be used safely for the purpose of resistance or weight training involved in strengthening exercises. Nothing else.

As far as I am concerned, whatever miniscule workout gain you think you will gain is worthless if there is a risk of not doing what you love, possibly forever. It is far, far better just to run a little longer and a little faster.

• Arlene

For the best answers, search on this site https://shorturl.im/axOve

Your body isn't designed to have extra weight at the ankles. Wearing ankle weights for running causes you to either change your form, or stresses your muscle and joint tissues in a way that they aren't designed to be stressed. Either of these things leads to injuries. To get faster, you need strength and explosiveness - you're on the right track. Any exercise that makes you stronger, or helps you practice going from at-rest to full speed/strength, will help make you faster. This means some weight training (which a soccer player should be doing) for strength. And it means doing various drills to improve your speed and explosiveness. Think about the conditioning work you do early season for soccer. Many of the drills should be designed to practice explosiveness. You can probably replicate them in your backyard for your off season training. Also, you could Google around for football (American football that is) drills. Everything football players do is aimed at more speed and power.

No ankle weights are for other exercises, strength building one that are and controlled. Having them on your legs would only slow you down and hurt your knee's and maybe ankles in the long run. Scissor kicks and lower ab crunches are something to be done with ankle weights.

I badly sprained my ankle about 3 weeks ago. I was in a hurry going down the stairs, lost my balance and landed on a bad side of my left foot, causing my left ankle to be stretched going on the inside. The first 48 hours were excruciating and the pain was un-believable. I've never had a serious ankle injury before.

So I immediately treated it using the RICE method. The following day, the bruising and swelling were so horrible. I found out that I got a second degree sprain and immediately panicked after that. I had a football game on that week and it been looking forward to it because I've been training for rt. I had teammates that had similar injuries and it took them months to fully recover, some of them stopped playing altogether. So I kinda had a short-term depression because I can't imagine myself not being able to run and play sports anymore.

Because I was so desperate to recover again, I contacted a lot of people that I know who do sports and asked them if they had similar injuries. One friend of mine, from the boy's football team in my university, told me about H.E.M. Ankle Rehab. I got a copy 4 days after I got injured. I immediately read and followed what was instructed and felt improvement on the first day. I was able to walk a bit, but I was in pain.

A couple of days after that, the swelling and bruising were subsid-ing significantly and on the fourth day, I was walking comfortably again. Although I've had felt a bit of stiffness, I continued doing what was instructed. My sister was surprised that I have recovered this fast. I told her about this book and was shocked on how effective the procedures were. I'm just so happy that this book was shared to me and how effective it is.

Heal your ankle fully & fast?

I would not use weights while running. They will affect your stride and could cause injuries. You can build strength by lifting weights and doing plyometric exercises. If you handicap yourself while running you will not build speed.

1

Source(s): Body Building Exercise http://emuy.info/MuscleStrengthHealth/?Qhw7

No. Bad idea. To much strain on your legs. You'd do better to do some hill work.