Is there anyone out there that knows of an Attorney that knows ADA Law?

I am a Disabled Vet and need help with access

I live in Calif. Centeral Coast

Please Help

2 Answers

  • Mel
    Lv 6
    1 decade ago
    Favorite Answer

    You don't provide a lot of detail so let me try to give you some guidance before getting an attorney involved. The ADA states that the disabled are entitled to the same opportunities as the able-bodied when it comes to areas such as accessibility, employment, promotions, terminations, and so on.

    Note that the law does not grant special treatment, merely equal treatment - meaning that employers are only required to make "reasonable accommodation" for disabled employees. For example, an employer might have to provide a hearing-disabled employee with a telephone amplification device, but not with a sign language interpreter.

    If your concern is access to a facility, your first step should be to document the problem. Write a letter to the company or landlord of the property which details your difficulty with accessing the site. Enclose photos if necessary, and keep a copy. If you don't get a response, or if the response is inadequate, you can report the offending company to the local city planning commission (the people who issue the building permits) and see what they have to say. If there isn't a fix at the city level, then it may be appropriate to contact an attorney.

    Your local VA office may be able to provide a list of attorneys that work with the disabled. You may also want to check your local directory for attorneys who specialize in employment law cases since they are typically pretty familiar with the ins and outs of the ADA.

    Good luck, and thank you for your service to our wonderful country.

  • TedEx
    Lv 7
    1 decade ago

    Call your county bar assoc and tell them what your problem is, and ask them to recommend someone.

    Good luck.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.